Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:40 pm
I've decided to aggressively low-spend December. We pre-prep for the month's birthdays (most of us) and Christmas expenses, those are done ahead. Holiday meals are pretty well stocked-for with the exception of fresh fruit/veg.

We have a thing in early January (usually late Dec, but not this year) that costs $, and then in April, and next year there will be more travel (because why NOT have a bunch of expenses at once? I know it's the last summer DD will have 'off' if she gets into the program she wants that starts in the fall, but 2 more trips in the same year? I think DH is getting overly plannish). Neither one of us gets any real time 'off' despite his 3-4 weeks (I think it's 4) over the year and my contractor status - we're always tethered via company phones.

I'd probably be happier about it if at least ONE of those 'in planning stages' trips was to a beach.
I agree going somewhere where there is a beach is soul satisfying to me. I do not need to do much other thant listening to the waves lapping on the sand.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 am

alliesmama4 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 pm
How exciting to have lived in France.. I was only there for about a week years ago but loved it. Always wanted to go back but time and money not that easy to come by. Do you still have family in France?

It is amazing how other countries value education. Although a dear friend of mine was married to an international business lawyer. He spoke 20 languages and 7 of them fluently. He was born and raised in our area. She has been all over the world due to his ability to discuss contracts and write them in whatever languages were needed. While on one of their trips she looked up her father's family in Greece. Her father is a first generation American. While there she invited her newly found cousins to come to the US to visit her. Two of them came. One stayed. Fast forward 25 + years. He is married to a woman from India that has three phd's and he has 2 phd's (slacker) lol.. Professor of economics at a University in California and investment counselor. Seems hard to get kids here motivated to go through schools to achieve even a good education and a degree.
ALL of my family is in France with the exception of my French-national mother, who lives on the US east coast. Five remaining aunts, 4 remaining uncles, 15 first cousins (all but 2 of whom are in their 60s, my remaining aunts/uncles are in their 80s and 90s) and I've lost track of my cousins' collective kids and THEIR kids. One of the 2 cousins who are younger than me is already a grandmother, and she's just 50.

My dad was the youngest of 7 but his parents died when he was very young so he lived with a sister 'til he got out of the 8th grade, quit school, and went to work. As soon as he was old enough he joined the Air Force (right before the Korean War) and stayed in for almost 30 years. He could fix anything, so they taught him to fix fighter jets. We were always stationed on TAC bases. He retired in... I think it was 1978, joined corporate America (ah, the days when know-how superceded a degree...) and did well for himself.

When he left home he never spoke to any of his siblings again. Said they were "a bunch of thieves." He must have felt a little more softly toward the sister who took him in, her name is my middle name. While I'm sure I must have some biological family in the US, biology has never driven me, so I've never looked for anyone. I do wonder now if I have cousins who are unaware there was 'another' uncle.

I know US education has been in the news of late and not in a favorable light. Not a surprise; it's being done wrong. I don't think all students lack motivation, just most. Some of the motivated find ways to achieve in spite of the system. Some are just stuck, unfortunately.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 pm

What an interesting story.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 am
ALL of my family is in France with the exception of my French-national mother, who lives on the US east coast. Five remaining aunts, 4 remaining uncles, 15 first cousins (all but 2 of whom are in their 60s, my remaining aunts/uncles are in their 80s and 90s) and I've lost track of my cousins' collective kids and THEIR kids. One of the 2 cousins who are younger than me is already a grandmother, and she's just 50.

My dad was the youngest of 7 but his parents died when he was very young so he lived with a sister 'til he got out of the 8th grade, quit school, and went to work. As soon as he was old enough he joined the Air Force (right before the Korean War) and stayed in for almost 30 years. He could fix anything, so they taught him to fix fighter jets. We were always stationed on TAC bases. He retired in... I think it was 1978, joined corporate America (ah, the days when know-how superceded a degree...) and did well for himself.

When he left home he never spoke to any of his siblings again. Said they were "a bunch of thieves." He must have felt a little more softly toward the sister who took him in, her name is my middle name. While I'm sure I must have some biological family in the US, biology has never driven me, so I've never looked for anyone. I do wonder now if I have cousins who are unaware there was 'another' uncle.

I know US education has been in the news of late and not in a favorable light. Not a surprise; it's being done wrong. I don't think all students lack motivation, just most. Some of the motivated find ways to achieve in spite of the system. Some are just stuck, unfortunately.
Sandi thanks for sharing your family history. So nice to still have so many relatives in France.
I do think kids in the US need better education. One of my nieces home schools all of her children (5). One year she decided to let them attend school classes since she was having a major case of burnout. They went to a private christian school which cost a ton of money for all of them. The next year her oldest DD decided she wanted to attend public high school for her last year as a senior. She said she could not believe how far ahead she was in all of her classes compared to what the other students were doing. Actually she already had enough credits to graduate but she went through the year for the experience. She prefers home schooling. She has gone on to college and is doing well. I know you home school your children to.

Wishing you good luck in 2020 with your frugaling.
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 am

I agree with you and Janet about education. I just read a story about a kid who was the valedictorian of her high school, but she got to college and couldn't pass math classes. Her heart was willing, but she didn't receive the needed education in high school. Tragic. I so worry about our young people.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:04 am

Dgflorida wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 am
I agree with you and Janet about education. I just read a story about a kid who was the valedictorian of her high school, but she got to college and couldn't pass math classes. Her heart was willing, but she didn't receive the needed education in high school. Tragic. I so worry about our young people.
That is so sad.
Janet Alliesmama