My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

We are in the midst of an artic blast with wind chills as low as (-20 F) (- 28. C) and lots of snow. I am not sure yet how much we have had but it looks like about 6 inches. One of the reason's is I have been MIA is due to doing some advance preparations for the incoming bad weather. The other day I made a curbside pickup at Walmart. Primarily I needed bird food and a pork roast for Teddi. I was disappointed that Walmart is still out of bird food. They were out the last time I was there. True Value was having a sale on bird food so drove down the road to pick some up. What I wanted was gone but I did pick up 15lbs for just incase I could not find it elsewhere. What they had left was too expensive to do any kind of a stock up. Then drove to the local chain grocery store where we picked up bird food previously when Walmart was sold out. Their parking lot was packed and I did not want my aide to go in to a store that crowded. So went down the road to Dollar General. No bird food. Farm and Home was also too crowded so went to Tractor Supply. There was only one car in their parking lot. When I went in a clerk greeted me at the door. I told him I was looking for bird food and a snow shovel. A lady clerk was close by and she said, " we do not have snow shovel's out they are seasonal." I looked at her and said," this is the season" and I laughed. She too laughed. She said they had been putting out all of their Spring planting items. The male clerk walked me to where the bird food was located. Asked me what kind of birds I was feeding and told me about the different varieties. I ended up buying (2) 35 lb bags of bird food for $10.00 a bag! The male clerk went over to check the shovel section yep no snow shovels. Then he and another man went in to their back storage area and finally came out with two different styles of snow shovels. The male clerk stood by and after checkout he accompanied me to my car and put everything in the trunk of my car. What great service. I signed up for their loyalty program. They also have online ordering with curbside pick up. I think this will be my go to place for hardware type things and my bird food. I opened the birdfeed today and was impressed with the quality of the birdfeed compared to the other brands. It was comparable in quality and much cheaper.

My next project was trying to put more insulation on my windows. Last year I bought lovely new curtains that are a light cotton with a lightweight lining. Lovely to look at but not very practical with temperatures dropping down to around (-20 F) wind chill. Fortunately I kept the old drapes that were heavier with a heavier lining. I washed them up and hung them on the windows. I moved the curtains down to the sheer curtain rods and hung the old, heavier drapes, where the curtains were.. What a great cold buffer. I love my house but in certain circumstances some things are not practical. I have vaulted ceilings in the great room and kitchen with almost floor to ceiling windows in the Great Room and a big deck door in the breakfast room area of the kitchen. They allow too much cold air in to the house and then with the vaulted ceilings it is difficult to keep the rooms warm. The 4 layers on the windows made a huge difference. I have been able to keep my heat down to (64 F) or (62F) depending on whether or not it is daytime or nighttime. They are asking us to keep our utility usage down due to fear of the grid not being able to handle the increase need due to the low temps.

Today I thought with the extreme temperature a pot of chicken soup sounded good. I used store bought chicken broth. It was not my usual brand it was organic. YUCK! It had a sweet taste and did not really have a chicken taste either. I added 4 small packets of low sodium chicken flavored powder, it did nothing. I was getting frustrated and through how can I get rid of the sweet flavor and add flavor? I thought of coconut cream powder that I use when I make Thai food and then added some Thai yellow curry paste. Bingo! Before serving I snipped a few fresh cilantro leaves over the soup and I now have a slightly hot savory Thai inspired soup, instead of a bowl of mediocre sweet tasting hot water. I love my snow shovel. I have not had one in years. I do not plan on shoveling too much just an area where Teddi can go out to potty. This sort of brings me up to date.

For those of your sufferings with the cold weather hope you are staying safe and warm.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Janet Alliesmama

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

We do not have Tractor Supply in my area but I’ve been impressed when Sheila has mentioned they give her dog treats. Good customer service makes such a difference. Stay warm, Janet.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:10 am
We do not have Tractor Supply in my area but I’ve been impressed when Sheila has mentioned they give her dog treats. Good customer service makes such a difference. Stay warm, Janet.
Thanks Florida Cat..and you stay cool... lol

Hope Pippi is doing well today? Have not check in yet.
Janet Alliesmama

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Just checking in with you, Janet. Has the snow in your driveway melted enough that you can get out or your aide can visit? Hope you and Teddi are well.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, we discovered that Tractor Supply has their own brand of a salmon and potato food that Lily can safely eat. We do add a tablespoon of pumpkin puree to her dish every day because it has little fiber and she tends to get "stopped up," but it's working out great for her.

It's 4health Original Salmon & Potato Dinner Dog Food, and comes in 13.2 oz. cans. It's a $1.39 a can, which is a great price, considering she's big enough to eat a can a day between her breakfast and main meal. With Teddi being so small, you may still be better off cooking his meals, though.
Mackie

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Janet, nice to hear about the great service you got from Tractor Supply. We have one about 45 minutes away and they are very helpful too.
Stay warm!