Purchase Mistakes Used For Something Else

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Beverley

Purchase Mistakes Used For Something Else

Post by Beverley »

I have a few things (mostly pet items) I have bought over the years that did not work out as far as intended use. I try to be very careful what I buy but with everything shut down I had to resort to ordering on line. I bought a wooden dog ramp to the tune of about $100 to teach Buddy how to use so as he gets older he can use that to climb onto my bed. But that has not worked out and it is just taking up space. I am thinking about putting it out for my yard sale. (If any of you can think of things to use it for let me know). When Buddy gets to the point he can no longer jump up on my bed I will sleep on one of the sofas in the living room which is lower.

I also bought a small dremel type of gadget to trim Buddy's toenails. That hasn't worked out either but I did find another use for it. It is hard to trim my toenails since it's hard for me to fold myself like a pretzel. I did figure out a way to use it to trim my toenails that take less bending on my part. The sandpapered end plus the dremel have a longer reach so I can reach my toenails much easier. It has worked out great.

I have essential oils that I don't use up fast so I may eventually start putting a little of that plus water in a spritzer bottle and using it as an air freshener.

I am sure I have more items I can use in different ways so I will start googling to get ideas. I am also starting to do that with food items I have on hand that I would rather use up than toss.

I would love to hear ideas you all might have on alternative uses of things.

Bev
HappyDaze

Re: Purchase Mistakes Used For Something Else

Post by HappyDaze »

Great topic, Bev. Of course none of us like it when we spend money on something that doesn't work out for the intended purpose.

Recently, I bought a HUGE barrel shaped wicker basket at a new thrift sore at a great price, with the intention of using it to hold blankets in my living room. It is in excellent condition, but upon further inspection after getting it home, I realized that once upon a time, it had been peed on by a cat.

After giving it a good scrub outdoors and letting it sit in the sun, it seems okay, but my blankets won't be going in it. I've decided to put some clear sealant on it, line it with plastic and plant some flowers in it. It can stay right outside.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Re: Purchase Mistakes Used For Something Else

Post by HappyDaze »

The other day, I purchased several "little goodies" at Dollar Tree with the intention of using them in advent calendars that I was going to make for each of my parents for an early Christmas gift. My plans have changed due to an overwhelming desire/need to keep it simple, and I will not be doing that - instead they are each getting a hand made "wreath" consisting of scratch off tickets, cash and gift cards to Dollar General (store close to their house - driving is becoming an issue for my dad and my mom has never driven).

Luckily, the items are all things I will use - post it notes, candy, tape, etc. so they won't be wasted.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz