Twice A Month Only Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Twice A Month Only Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

Still doing the twice a month only shop. I am finding it a bit easier to figure out fruit and fresh veggies for two weeks, and while I might have underestimated milk for this two week stint I am hopeful we will get very close. Will do without for a day or two I guess.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I am also managing twice a month grocery shopping, filling in from the stockpile of canned and frozen produce where needed. I find that I tend to eat what I like the best first - the homemade pizza, broccoli and tofu stir fry, etc. - and toward the end of the two weeks it's things I like less. That's okay.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

This time I did notice a few slightly empty spaces and that prices have risen on the new stock that has been gotten in. Stretching those shopping dollars could become more and more of a challenge.

Still doing the every two weeks big shop is working out fine. I still have a few things to learn (how did I ever manage this when we lived 30 miles from the nearest grocery and the children were growing up?). It is coming though.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have been needing to shop for groceries weekly again, due to not having a functional vehicle (it runs - but the door closing/locking issue). I've been keeping the bill under $30, including buying 1 or 2 things most times to add to the stockpile. I am grateful that the grocery store is right around the corner and Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are just up the street.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I should have bought potatoes last week.... Oh well I will scrap the bottom of the barrel so to speak and use what I can of the potatoes we got from the garden. Potatoes are definitely going on the list for the next shopping trip.
Jackie
GJspins

Post by GJspins »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:42 pm Our favorite local grocery store has had the "serves two" packages of frozen Green Giant veggies on sale lately, sometimes as low as a dollar each, and I've been snatching them up have with my lunches. It knocks out the requirement for vegetables and I do love their creamed spinach.
Have any of you looked at Dollar Store or Family Dollar for frozen fruits & veggies?

Also, my Mom used to freeze fruit when it was started to get close to past it's prime, just cut it up in chunks. She loved eating frozen bananas, cherries, oranges, peaches, nectarines, etc when they were at the peak of sweetness. She was allergic to sugar, so she called these her "candy." Yum! :)