Twice A Month Only Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Twice A Month Only Challenge

Post by Jackielou »

I started my challenge of only shopping twice a month at the end of September. That Swas going to be a trial to see if I could figure out how much dairy, produce (that would last) and fruit to purchase.

I actually think I might now have a very good idea. So my next shopping trip (which will be on Friday) I am hoping to put into practice what I have learned and make this a true two week only shopping trip. I will keep track here and let you all know how it is going.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Re: Twice A Month Only Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackie, I will be very interested in any tips and tricks you have to share about grocery shopping 2x a month. I try very hard to only shop biweekly but often fail as I run out of fruit, etc. and am left looking at a cupboard full of dried beans and lentils and feeling very uninspired.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:27 pm Jackie, I will be very interested in any tips and tricks you have to share about grocery shopping 2x a month. I try very hard to only shop biweekly but often fail as I run out of fruit, etc. and am left looking at a cupboard full of dried beans and lentils and feeling very uninspired.
I bought long lasting fresh veggies the last time I went, things like rutabaga, carrots, cabbage, squash. I have a feeling that as time goes on I will be relying on frozen much more. The lettuce, green onion and such tender veggies I used up immediately.

As far as fruit I have a few apples left as well as oranges and pears. Pears I buy as green as possible so it takes them awhile to ripen. Other fruit such as bananas and grapes are eaten the first 5 days they are here (I buy bananas as green as possible as well). I do think if I get bored with apples, oranges and bananas this winter (about the only reasonably priced fruit available during the winter) I will be relying on canned picked up at a good price. Not as healthy, but packed in water not a bad choice.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:04 am I bought long lasting fresh veggies the last time I went, things like rutabaga, carrots, cabbage, squash. I have a feeling that as time goes on I will be relying on frozen much more. The lettuce, green onion and such tender veggies I used up immediately.

As far as fruit I have a few apples left as well as oranges and pears. Pears I buy as green as possible so it takes them awhile to ripen. Other fruit such as bananas and grapes are eaten the first 5 days they are here (I buy bananas as green as possible as well). I do think if I get bored with apples, oranges and bananas this winter (about the only reasonably priced fruit available during the winter) I will be relying on canned picked up at a good price. Not as healthy, but packed in water not a bad choice.
Thank you for the information, Jackie. I do like canned fruit, especially peaches and pears, and keep it in my "just in case" stockpile - you know, in case can't get to the store (although it is right around the corner), sick, whatever. I also keep a couple cans at work - it makes a good "I'm starving" snack.

I find frozen broccoli to be a good buy for me - the florets, not the kind with the stem pieces - I add it to pasta, soup, etc. Helps me increase my veggie intake, which I'm kind of bad about.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Our favorite local grocery store has had the "serves two" packages of frozen Green Giant veggies on sale lately, sometimes as low as a dollar each, and I've been snatching them up have with my lunches. It knocks out the requirement for vegetables and I do love their creamed spinach.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:42 pm Our favorite local grocery store has had the "serves two" packages of frozen Green Giant veggies on sale lately, sometimes as low as a dollar each, and I've been snatching them up have with my lunches. It knocks out the requirement for vegetables and I do love their creamed spinach.
We don't have those here drat.
Jackie