Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

That sounds fun, Sandi and I found my dog sitting side-hustle paid really well. I could also see myself taking something like that back up in retirement - but with my main job it was too much.

That's too bad about your boss - slowing down is hard for someone who was such a go-getter. Me, not so much, lol.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:35 pm That sounds fun, Sandi and I found my dog sitting side-hustle paid really well. I could also see myself taking something like that back up in retirement - but with my main job it was too much.

That's too bad about your boss - slowing down is hard for someone who was such a go-getter. Me, not so much, lol.
I figured dog walking would be a way to combine work with exercise - this desk job stuff is for the birds. DD's shopping job gets her anywhere from 10,000-27,000 steps a day (the 27000 was a looong day she worked right before Christmas, she said it was a madhouse, LOL). While 27000 steps would likely kill me, if I could get 10,000 in with some pups it'd be good for everyone.

I'm worried about the boss. Not that worry accomplishes much.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Next week marks the end of Q1, 2022 :shock:

Multipart challenge savings goals are going well despite higher quarterly payout to the IRS and state. DH got a hefty raise (for the first time since 2019, they had reduced everyone's pay and even stopped contribution matching to the 401(k) pgm during the height of the pandemic, returned to normal in 2021 but had frozen hiring and raises, things are back on track - they're even hiring again, which is a relief to everyone).

The rest of the people here decided where we're going for our big family vacation next year and I think they're just being nice to me - part of it is a visit to my absolute favorite beach! I never thought that would figure in to an MTB vacation but I'll take the beach any way I can get it :D
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

April's gone :?

Covid's still here. Well, the symptoms, not the positive test, we're all testing negative. DS and I are still a little symptomatic. Me more than him, which is better than the other way around since my desk job is here at the house and I can get by without going anywhere; he's taking some courses (welding, of all the things, to satisfy his curiosity) at a local tech college a few evenings a week - it's mostly self-guided but he did skip a while when he was testing positive.

Financially we're still as frugal as is possible within the context of having a young adult child and an almost adult child who do interesting things with their time. She mostly funds her own stuff, he is set on getting a job as soon as high school (online private academy in another state) is out for the year. I'll miss his culinary elective, it was nice having someone else cook once or twice a week.

Oh.... my mother's gardener has made me mad. Due to the cost of gas, his fee for her yard jumped from $85.00 to $100.00 per mow. Yeeeeah... it's not a big yard. So she told him he could come out every 3 weeks instead of every 2. I think that surprised him, but Mom isn't into being taken advantage of. The other little old ladies on the street whose yards he tends are all doing the same thing - one told him he could do the front yard only once every 3 weeks and she'd get a goat for the back :lol:

I doubt she'll get a goat, but I'd be she'll have her 50+ yo DD who lives with her run a weed whacker or rotary mower back there, it's super small.

This is the same lady whose life expectancy is dictating my Mom's timing on moving here, if ever (I'd prefer the friend live another decade or more but I'd also like for my Mom to come out here where we can mow her yard for $0 each time). I'm not sure why her DD has been there 5 years already and isn't mowing. Imagine the savings.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:06 pm April's gone :?

Covid's still here. Well, the symptoms, not the positive test, we're all testing negative. DS and I are still a little symptomatic. Me more than him, which is better than the other way around since my desk job is here at the house and I can get by without going anywhere; he's taking some courses (welding, of all the things, to satisfy his curiosity) at a local tech college a few evenings a week - it's mostly self-guided but he did skip a while when he was testing positive.

Financially we're still as frugal as is possible within the context of having a young adult child and an almost adult child who do interesting things with their time. She mostly funds her own stuff, he is set on getting a job as soon as high school (online private academy in another state) is out for the year. I'll miss his culinary elective, it was nice having someone else cook once or twice a week.

Oh.... my mother's gardener has made me mad. Due to the cost of gas, his fee for her yard jumped from $85.00 to $100.00 per mow. Yeeeeah... it's not a big yard. So she told him he could come out every 3 weeks instead of every 2. I think that surprised him, but Mom isn't into being taken advantage of. The other little old ladies on the street whose yards he tends are all doing the same thing - one told him he could do the front yard only once every 3 weeks and she'd get a goat for the back :lol:

I doubt she'll get a goat, but I'd be she'll have her 50+ yo DD who lives with her run a weed whacker or rotary mower back there, it's super small.

This is the same lady whose life expectancy is dictating my Mom's timing on moving here, if ever (I'd prefer the friend live another decade or more but I'd also like for my Mom to come out here where we can mow her yard for $0 each time). I'm not sure why her DD has been there 5 years already and isn't mowing. Imagine the savings.
First, so sorry you still aren't feeling well. And - what an OUTRAGEOUS price for a lawn mow!!! My landscaper charges me $37.50 plus tax and my lawn care still costs me more in summer than my heat bill costs in winter. Good for your mom and her neighbors for coming up with a work-around!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:13 am First, so sorry you still aren't feeling well. And - what an OUTRAGEOUS price for a lawn mow!!! My landscaper charges me $37.50 plus tax and my lawn care still costs me more in summer than my heat bill costs in winter. Good for your mom and her neighbors for coming up with a work-around!
I would have liked to have seen the look on his face, thinking he's going to increase his standard of living off these nice dependent-on-him collection of widows and BOOM - he'll be making LESS.

But he'll have plenty of time to look for more work :D