Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

Should be able to add to savings to backfill what the IRS took before the end of the month.

Inflation has gotten on my nerves, LOL. Yesterday we went out and I refused to buy 2 things we normally buy (not necessities), and switched to a different product on 2 other things (these were necessary, but brand is irrelevant when the $ difference is that much). I'm hoping we're not the only ones, maybe those 4 manufacturers / distributors / seller (WM) will rethink their pricing. If no one buys stuff, $ will come down.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;)
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I definitely noticed that many of the things I picked up on sale at the store were the same price as the regular price used to be.

Bev
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Been watching "'Til Debt Do Us Part" on YouTube - I'd never heard of it until reading a post on reddit. The host has an interest accent that sounded half familiar so I looked her up, she's originally Jamaican, which explains it.

While we're not in debt beyond the mortgage, I like the "jars" approach (I know now it's envelopes) to conscientious spending. There's absolutely NO reason in the world, beyond fresh produce, why our current food-related expense should be high - I overstocked last year :lol: and we can certainly use what we have.

Only problem is no one here is going to actually use cash, which is just as well given the dearth of decent ways to cope with collected change. We don't bank locally (much better deal with a credit union out of state).

I also need the entertainment, LOL, as I've run out of that.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:32 pm Been watching "'Til Debt Do Us Part" on YouTube - I'd never heard of it until reading a post on reddit. The host has an interest accent that sounded half familiar so I looked her up, she's originally Jamaican, which explains it.

While we're not in debt beyond the mortgage, I like the "jars" approach (I know now it's envelopes) to conscientious spending. There's absolutely NO reason in the world, beyond fresh produce, why our current food-related expense should be high - I overstocked last year :lol: and we can certainly use what we have.

Only problem is no one here is going to actually use cash, which is just as well given the dearth of decent ways to cope with collected change. We don't bank locally (much better deal with a credit union out of state).

I also need the entertainment, LOL, as I've run out of that.
Til Debt Us Do Part is a good show. I don’t use much cash but like her concept. I understand that the envelope system is popular on TikTok now which is good.

I’m going to the bank today with my coins and hope they accept them. Back in the day, my mom used to have to write her name and address on each roll of coins. That would be a pain. I don’t get many coins but like to cash them in when I’m trying to limit spending if that makes sense.

It amazes me that so many people either don’t live within their means or do but don’t have a dime in savings. I’m very lucky that I grew up with my mom. She had very little coming in but spent very little, saved, always gave donations when there was a “tragedy” and still smiled every day. (My mom was not Adventist like my grandmother but I found donations to Adventist causes such as Rwanda of all places.)

I have been shredding mom’s cancelled checks. I probably could just throw them away but it is interesting to go through them. Some costs have barely changed or are cheaper - the newspaper. The medical payments for my dad surprised me. I found numerous checks paying for my local uncle’s Rx and new glasses and I didn’t know she did that.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Back when I was treasurer for our local church I rolled a LOT of coins - which was good as my kids were little - I'd count everything then get them to count it. DD is amazed that some of her friends can't make change. I told her, they likely didn't get any practice growing up, and I doubt the school(s) spent much time on it.

There are some of those machines around here where you drop the change in and it counts, but what I learned when treasurer is that some of those machines don't count correctly - thus, the rolling, as the bank tellers let it be known the machines aren't actually from a company affiliated with the bank. (Don't ask "why is it in your building, then?" - they don't know :roll:).

We give to ADRA (Adventist Development and Relief) - ongoing for Ukraine right now, and they're in Turkey & Syria post-earthquake and in Africa helping with the famines. Many times there are 'matching' programs where some deep pocket donor will match $1 - $12 (!) for each $1 that's donated, I really like those. Our local church is more than halfway toward the goal of drilling a well for a village in Africa since their closest clean water source is currently over 2 hours away in 1 direction. There's a family nearby that's spent a lot of time doing mission work in a neighboring country to that one, they're thinking about going to see it drilled. It's an interesting thing, to me, the global effort and the local effort balancing out.

My ex could barely let a penny sit in his pocket early on, so I get the folks who don't have savings. Many may have been raised in families that didn't have a lot (definitely his family, too many kids for the income, dad boozed and smoked, the parents fought a lot) and in some of those cases when there IS a windfall, like a tax refund, it gets spent quickly to backfill needs and wants - and that's what the kids learn to do. Live on the edge, splurge when you can.

It's interesting how things shake out - ex is reportedly doing well with his own company, one sibling married into money, and the others are boozing, smoking, and living in near-poverty. And no one talks to anyone, each child acts like their way is better than the others' - they only time they've spoken in decades was when their dad died and that was just to see if he left them anything - weird!!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Actually managed to move some $ to savings this week despite some off the wall purchases that fall into the "buy or modify/repair" category where modify/repair is cheaper, so we wound up at a good tailor and a place that does luggage repair (also boot and shoe repair, but I bought shoe-gloo for the shoes, they're so old there's no point in paying a pro :lol:).

DD graduates from her pgm this week and DS's last day of high school is tomorrow (graduation next week). I am not ready for any of this. Where is the 'weeping with joy and trepidation' emoji?

DS starts college June 5th. Getting calc and intro to engineering courses out of the way, we've never done summers "off" - it's too hard to get going again after the fact. He'll be working 4 10's; his courses are online.