Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

Had the taxes done. The fed refund (which pleasantly surprised me, we usually owe a few bucks) will cancel out what we owe the state. My quarterly payments for the freelance job are going down for the fed and up for the state, all in all I'll only have to pay a little less than $200 a quarter more than in 2021. It was less of a 'bad news' meeting than last year :lol:

My accountant is making retirement noises, but says he won't fully retire, he'll just keep 60-70 clients and do 'zoom' returns. I can live with that, I don't want to have to replace him. Super nice guy with a good sense of humor - and former IRS with a penchant for keeping up with all the code no matter how many times a year they change it :shock: so I hope we never lose him.

My boss, who I love like an errant little brother (in other words, sometimes I want to yell at him) is in the midst of stepping in it, company-wise, going back into a segment he got out of just 15 months ago. The client is begging - yeah, there's a reason for that: no one else wants to do the work and surely doesn't want to do it for the miniscule profit you were making back then! If he does this, I'm asking for a raise because I manage the transactions and despise seeing the co. get taken advantage of. I guess I should tell him now, so he can figure the extra $ into the client's fees. Then I'll pay the government even more, but it's the principle of the thing!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I may wish to be talked out of this...

I have a 13 year old Camry. Runs great, it's my favorite color, I like the smoothness of the drive while in it.

We also have 2 other vehicles, DH's hybrid and DD's little sport utility thing, both also Toyotas (used to work with Toyota, among other mfgs, will never buy anything other than Toyota until such time as they wander away from their QC methodology).

I can still drive, for now, but I'm pretty visually impaired and I know the day is coming when it just won't be possible anymore. Unless that doc can fix everything, LOL, it's a matter of 10 years or so.

DH works from home 2 days a week now, so the hybrid would be available those 2 days for appts and stuff, and now that I work I hardly go anywhere alone anyway. Within the next 15-18 months, we'd like to buy DS a truck. The used car market is CRAZY right now, the 13 yo car is worth a lot on the resale market.

If we sold it, we'd get the $ to put in the bank to use toward DS's truck, and it'll likely yield more $ now than it would 15-18 months from now. AND it'd be one less car to insure during that interim time when we're down to 2 vehicles.

My hesitation is that it's "my" car, and I associate that with 1) FREEEEEdom!!! and 2) the ability to get up and GO, anywhere, at any time if a kid is elsewhere and needs help. If DD were to wreck hers, I could be wherever she is pretty fast - DH is equally reliable (and better at finding things) but there are hours during a workday when he is glued to zoom and ignores his phone. I'm making up reasons not to sell my car before it actually gets SO old that it's value even as a trade-in, is nil. DH is outside cleaning the blazes out of it, so he's "in" LOL. Pretty much have to sell it now, can hardly say "wow, thanks, babe" and not run the ad...

Rats, I just realized that if someone wrecks or has to have their car in the shop (of all 3, only mine has ever had an issue and that was due to a screw-up during routine maintenance that they had to turn around and fix), we'd be down to ONE. We could rent, though, if necessary.

I'll leave it in the Lord's hands; if He wants it gone it'll have to be before the insurance is due. If not, I still have freedom ;)
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Well... the Lord must be making a point, He sold the car in less than 3 hours. Super nice guy who is giving it to his daughter for her college commute. Glad she'll be in a safe reliable vehicle.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I've decided my working years are numbered (all our working years are numbered whether we know it or not ;) but I've put an upper limit on mine - 8 years). I'll be, if the Lord allows, 64 years old. By that time our youngest should be well out of college and he doesn't strike me as a graduate degree type, he strikes me as a 'skills' type, he's already got his SolidWorks (3D CAD design software, remarkable stuff) certification and is starting a 2-part welding course shortly. He collects learning 'how to.' So far he hasn't said anything like... "HVAC - THAT'S IT! I'm going to install heat and air...." and wanted to go through an entire curriculum, he's more just...collecting. He likes school better than his sister and is willing to do the whole 4-yr thing, in mechanical engineering. She despises sitting still through a class (she can do it, and has a 4.0, but says it's like torture - today she's in surgical clinicals, she practically skipped to her vehicle at 5:45 a.m. :? because she'd rather stand and move around all day than sit and learn - she weighs around 114 and eats like a small horse). He learns well by listening, but listening and DOING - if he can put what he learns to use, he's got it and doesn't forget it.

Of course my 8 yrs hinges on my boss not retiring. I he retires I'm pretty sure the heir apparent will have driven the company straight into the ground inside 18 months, he's nice as the day is long but just... no feel for business. Or fiscal reality, for that matter. :shock:
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:04 pm I've decided my working years are numbered (all our working years are numbered whether we know it or not ;) but I've put an upper limit on mine - 8 years). I'll be, if the Lord allows, 64 years old. By that time our youngest should be well out of college and he doesn't strike me as a graduate degree type, he strikes me as a 'skills' type, he's already got his SolidWorks (3D CAD design software, remarkable stuff) certification and is starting a 2-part welding course shortly. He collects learning 'how to.' So far he hasn't said anything like... "HVAC - THAT'S IT! I'm going to install heat and air...." and wanted to go through an entire curriculum, he's more just...collecting. He likes school better than his sister and is willing to do the whole 4-yr thing, in mechanical engineering. She despises sitting still through a class (she can do it, and has a 4.0, but says it's like torture - today she's in surgical clinicals, she practically skipped to her vehicle at 5:45 a.m. :? because she'd rather stand and move around all day than sit and learn - she weighs around 114 and eats like a small horse). He learns well by listening, but listening and DOING - if he can put what he learns to use, he's got it and doesn't forget it.

Of course my 8 yrs hinges on my boss not retiring. I he retires I'm pretty sure the heir apparent will have driven the company straight into the ground inside 18 months, he's nice as the day is long but just... no feel for business. Or fiscal reality, for that matter. :shock:
I also want to retire - in 3 years. In reality, I need to wait 5 years - and if my brain were larger than a pea, I would wait longer still - but I know I won't. I'll likely need to go work part time or seasonally somewhere - but that's part of my plan...a job with way less stress (and yes, way less pay - but it's a trade off I'm willing to make).

Has your boss hinted that he will be retiring anytime soon?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:52 pm I also want to retire - in 3 years. In reality, I need to wait 5 years - and if my brain were larger than a pea, I would wait longer still - but I know I won't. I'll likely need to go work part time or seasonally somewhere - but that's part of my plan...a job with way less stress (and yes, way less pay - but it's a trade off I'm willing to make).

Has your boss hinted that he will be retiring anytime soon?
I might go that way and get a part time (true 'part' time, not this thing I'm doing now) "hustle" if my current work disappears and my physical condition (vision, mostly) still qualifies me for...anything. I'd love to do dog-sitting in a 'go to their house, play with, feed, let out and let back in the dog twice a day' way - I'm not far from a burg that houses much of the county's elite $ earners, I'm older, have had dogs for decades and tend to get along with them. Pretty sure I can get bonded without much effort. That's probably as much 'work' as I'd enjoy in about 5 yrs, LOL. Allergic to cats, though.

My boss... He's only half recovered from a major surgery. He's a few years older than me and already dealing with some cognitive decline. He's doing so much less with the company, daily, that I consider him semi-retired now. He oversees and provides a little input, but I don't know how much longer that'll last. Kind of worried about him. He's always been a go-go-go person, it's not like him to "sit."