Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:11 pm $3.69 for iced tea is highway robbery, LOL, unless it comes with a socializing thing that can't be $ quantified. DD goes out for dinner with the board of one of her orchestras during their 'season' once a week to plan and socialize - but she brings 4/5th or more of her dinner home - so we subsidize her dinners, since either her Dad or her brother ends up with it as a snack. "Priceless" food, at least for her; crazy expensive snacks ($18+ for BEET tacos - DH said they were 'amazing' and we grow beets, so... learning :lol:).

Every now and then (twice during the holidays) DH and I will go through the Dutch Bros. drive through, get coffee, overtip because we've both work as prep and waitstaff in our youth, sit someplace and watch people - or go to Lowe's! - while sipping coffee, and call it a date. We're cheap dates, LOL.
Yes, $3.69 for iced tea is highway robbery but for me it is a social outing, typically 1 1/2 hours chatting with my friend at an outside table. And I use Bing points. At the Starbucks near me there is often a line of cars in the drive-thru. Not worth it at all IMO. Todays NYT has a story about how Starbucks, Dunkin and others recently changed their rewards programs to be more skimpy. I never go to Starbucks often enough to rack up rewards. Even their birthday reward is now harder to claim.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:16 am Yes, $3.69 for iced tea is highway robbery but for me it is a social outing, typically 1 1/2 hours chatting with my friend at an outside table. And I use Bing points. At the Starbucks near me there is often a line of cars in the drive-thru. Not worth it at all IMO. Todays NYT has a story about how Starbucks, Dunkin and others recently changed their rewards programs to be more skimpy. I never go to Starbucks often enough to rack up rewards. Even their birthday reward is now harder to claim.
Yup; the only reason to go out anymore is the social aspect.

I've been to Starbuck's 3 times in my life and once, :lol: it was good. The location on theatre level at the Mirage hotel in 1997, LOL. Everywhere else, I can do better at home. No idea why there wasn't consistency. Dutch Bros. isn't bad - pricey, but consistent.

I read somewhere that there's talk of a suit against Starbuck's and its CEO for union busting.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

The good: went to a friend's retirement party last night; wound up bringing home cookies - I won't eat them, but DH has LOW blood sugar (lucky man, LOL) and both kids can eat carbs without lament, so... free dessert for at least 3 days.

The bad: Had to buy a new laptop; mine was a refurbished HP bought 4-1/2 years ago and hasn't worked too well since I dropped it :? so out it goes in favor of a new one at a not-terrible price. I could claim it as a business expense (contractor) but I won't since I don't really intend to ever have two of the things; I do work, home, and personal stuff all on the same machine. Work is saved onto an external hard drive, but it's all "done" on one machine. Hoping to get maybe 6 years out of this one if I can be intelligent enough not to expose it to unimpeded gravitational pull :lol:

and the different: DH has decided to cook tonight, a newly discovered recipe (youtube) for spinach and garbanzo bean curry. Any veg curry is a 'good' curry, so yay for someone with gumption. I'm too tired to be intrepid in the kitchen today.
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

How was the curry? I am always looking for a good curry recipe...

JGomez
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:04 pm

The bad: Had to buy a new laptop; mine was a refurbished HP bought 4-1/2 years ago and hasn't worked too well since I dropped it :? so out it goes in favor of a new one at a not-terrible price. I could claim it as a business expense (contractor) but I won't since I don't really intend to ever have two of the things; I do work, home, and personal stuff all on the same machine. Work is saved onto an external hard drive, but it's all "done" on one machine.
Oops! Well, stuff happens. (Assuming the new one is loaded with Windows 11. How do you like it?) I'm in the same boat as you on claiming computers as a business expense — or home office expenses, either.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

jgomez1002 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:39 pm How was the curry? I am always looking for a good curry recipe...

JGomez
It's this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsvfA0YOLUs

Which is pretty good for both taste and ease. My curries usually sit in a crockpot for 4 hours or so, this took him about 40 minutes. She doesn't serve it with rice but he had it with rice (I don't invite extra carbs :lol:).
It's just a little hot - he halved the red pepper and while it was mild for him, it was just shy of "whoo!" for me, LOL.

If you're a British Baking Show fan the cook might look familiar - Chetna was a contestant ~ 2014(? I think).