Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by Jackielou »

LOL, my niece is the same way. She plays piano, flute, piccolo, violin and a few years ago she added a cello to the mix. At one point she was talking about a harp and telling me that I could come up and learn with her (I always wanted to learn how to play the harp since I was very young). I think I managed to talk her out of the harp... But one never knows with A. I may yet be getting a call saying come up Auntie and I will teach you.

She actually teaches piano, flute, and piccolo as a means of making extra cash.

Just like your daughter she is a tiny thing.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

! The harp is amazing. We watched a documentary a few years ago about a harp competition (Google indicates this was "Harp Dreams," about the 2007 USA International Harp Competition - if you find it anywhere it's worth a look) that was really educational, there are folks truly dedicated to mastering those things. I hope she never sets her sites on one, though...we'd need another room.

DH and I just realized something at the same time and cracked up - DD takes her more expensive instruments into the storm shelter when there's super bad weather. It's for 4-6 people. It gets 4 people, a 65 lb dog, a violin and a viola (in their cases) and usually a laptop to track the storm in real time, as I can't see phone screens really well. There's no way a CELLO is going in there with us :lol: DH just said 'let's get a 6-8 person...' NO. The cello can stay in her room and if the Lord decides it's insurance claim time, so be it.

Now she's seeking a teacher, as her former violin and guitar teacher (who also plays the flute and can sing... the woman should record, she's that good) can't play the cello.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Less than a week into cello stuff, DD has figured it out - she looked for instructions on 'you tube,' LOL. She's still looking for a teacher but couldn't wait, so...

I asked, because it seemed logical, "is it just like playing a really big violin?" No... "a really big viola. From the bass line." I have yet to really understand the real differences between the violin and the viola so it's a giant mystery to me why it would resemble one more than the other. Sounds nice, so I don't complain.

The newly renovated office will be ready for tenancy by tonight, so DH and I will officially be officing together in the morning. We met when we worked in an area where it was his office, an engineer's office, and then my office - just 25ft or so apart.

We might want to flip or remodel (if we were younger :lol:) for a living, that office looks good. There are a few finishing touches needed and we need to decide if we're going to put some floating shelves in a certain spot - and decide if we want a ceiling fan in there, in the summer it might make sense, OR, it might swoosh paper around, he's nearly paper-free but I'm a little cluttered most days. I stack it up at the end of the day, but at 2pm in July who knows what might be blown around. I think this is why paperweights were invented, and we have some interesting things around that pass for paperweights - rocks (they have insects painted on them, they're flat-ish stones, we were supporting an education thing, LOL), acrylic blocks with landmarks carved in them... ceramic things. I think I'll go with rocks, it can sound frugal even if those were expensive rocks :lol:.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DD will be - wait, I have to sit down and breathe into a paper bag - 21 this week. On her birthday, she will be at clinicals in the hospital where she was born :lol:.

She went out with some of her peeps yesterday and had a blast.

One kid's bday for the year down, one to go. We know what he wants. I don't understand the "why" of it, but whatever - he's right, it'll "look so cool," and it's harmless and useful to boot, so...

I guess the thing is people my age don't need useful things to "look cool," just to do what they're supposed to do. I can't imagine a desk that goes up and down (standing / sitting) at the push of a button with LEDs that change color all along its frame. But if he's going to use it for college & all his freelance stuff for years I guess he may as well enjoy it.

DH and I also have bdays at the end of the year. He bakes me a pie, I bake him a cake, and we call it good. :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Very little 'new' to report. Same ol' frugaling, made weirder by inflation.

Selling / giving away the old 'office' stuff, which is cluttering up the garage. Anything not gone by the weekend, the folks at church get first dibs (we have quite a few elderly and not quite well off, if any of them needs an office chair, we deliver) and whatever's left after that goes to Goodwill.

Trying the "is it a want or a need?" approach to all shopping. I can justify kiwis by saying the vitamins therein are a need!

Found a dog roaming the street yesterday, we had 2 dogs for 6 hours :lol:. Some people don't train their dogs, this baby did not understand "sit," "stay" - nothing, she understood NOTHING, and she's a pit mix, which some folks interpret as dangerous (this dog was only dangerous to herself, getting out in traffic like that); she'd be much better office knowing the basics. She's around 2, not too old to learn. SUPER enthusiastic about jumping on folks, but I think it's because she was scared. No collar, no chip. Turned out she's from right down the street, their fence blew over and she jumped for it, leaving her more than decade-old shorter dog companion behind in the yard.

Note to self: don't get a 2nd dog. The beast did NOT like having that high-energy bouncer on her turf. The beast is mellow, unless you work for Fedex or UPS.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Bought an electric range to replace the gas one. Sold the gas one to someone putting it into a rental house for half its original cost to the builder, not a bad deal overall.

Between the brou-haha about carcinogenics released by NG ranges and the continuing climb of NG prices, it was time. I didn't realize how much I missed a smooth-topped stove. SO much easier to clean.

I've been sitting around for a couple days trying to figure out what next year's financial goals should be and I can't find a lot. Not that there isn't loads of room for improvement here, it's just that I've gotten kind of burnt out. It might just be an inflation-related thing, try as I might the grocery bill is a bugger.