Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

So first, food and gasoline went up - gasoline vacillates as to how far 'up,' but the average is UP, if you know what I mean.

Now due to projected, by the mortgage co., increases in property taxes (they can't go up more than 3% a year for as long as we own the house, it's an OK homestead exemption thing) and homeowners insurance, our house payment is going up (just a few bucks a month but there's a trend here, LOL - AND their projection is wrong, my homeowner's won't be increasing and the taxes are a 'maybe,' for whatever pandemic-related reason they haven't budged in the past 2 years). Overall, the house payment will still be less than 12% of our (after-tax/401(k)/insurance) income but it's just the trend...

Oklahoma Natural Gas rates have MORE THAN DOUBLED as a result, now, of last year's snow/icepoclaypse and the higher cost of natural gas.

I've been this >< close to replacing our gas range with an electric (due to the whole 'your gas range is making your indoor air toxic' thing), and now it's just.... sigh. We'd still have a gas water heater and heat, but every little bit helps.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Finally, a weekend without any real grocery shopping. Spent less than $24 on some fill-ins, that should hold us 'til next week.

DD wants to join a seasonal musical group, they do pop-up concerts in various places over 3 months. I told her I see no issue with it other than gas to get to rehearsals and concerts (2x a week, pretty far as the crow flies, farther by car ;)) is now $3.08 per gallon and while I might subsidize it, I'm not paying for all of it.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Minimal food expenditure today. Going to do a minor stock-up on Tuesday where DD's discount at her employer jumps to 22% :shock: for one day & one transaction only. Non-perishable stuff that we get there will be bought 2x what we usually buy just to get a little jump. It's got something to do with 2/22/22... I didn't ask much about why, I just made a list :lol:

I may very well be a short-sighted human, but the housing market here in my little neighborhood and the county around it has gone insane. Judging by the "comps" I've been told we could get more than $130k over what we bought this house for, if we "hurry and list right now." That's a suspiciously big % of return (I did check the addresses for his comps on the county assessor's page, he's right about the %).

I have problems with it - 1) I feel like we just got here (it's been 3+ years, but, still), 2) I don't think I have the strength to move us again (at that profit, we could pay movers) and 3), and this is the biggie, where would we go? Rents are stupid high (2 to 2.5 times my house payment for a comparable rental), and everything else for sale is being snapped up at inflated prices. Do I buy high just because I "can" and regret it later? Eventually this bubble has to pop - they always do. Then, unless it's my "forever" house, I'd probably have to take a loss when we up and move again later (because DH is not retiring here unless one or both of the kids are here, in which case THIS might be the forever home), though I hope the kids decide they like cooler temps and access to the ocean :) so we have an excuse to move.

I'm not used to having my judgement maligned (anyone is free to do so quietly ;), since ex-h not a lot of people have flat out told me I'm missing an opportunity, though) and it has me wondering if I'm totally wrong. If I am, though, DH is totally wrong with me, as he didn't bite either.

Then, too, any realtor isn't above looking at it solely as a profit-driven - a 6% of my sales price slice if he brings the buyer - thing, and has vested interest in getting me to go for that profit. Sneaky man... LOL, DH says "Maybe he's going to retire and this is it, his last big profit year." Maybe, but with neither of us feeling the 'move' bug, he'll have to fund his retirement without us.

It's all kinds of weird. My first house, 31 years ago and 2 states away, cost me less than $68K. Huge lot, cute house, zillow says it's worth $175k now. Of course it's 31 yrs old, I doubt it's un-inflated worth is really more than $130 - 140k.

Strange times!
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

The market is insane everywhere and it's been going on for a while. I started hearing stories a few years ago about the problems that friends/their adult children were having in buying a home.

We're constantly getting phone calls and occasional mailings urging us to sell. But yeah, where do we go? There's no guarantee we can find a place or afford it. Some of the prices I see would require a hefty mortgage, even using the profit from our house. DH and I aren't looking to take on a mortgage at this stage of life.

My DH knows a guy who recently got a job not far from our area. He and his wife bid on 11 houses — each time they were outbid. DH heard they found a spot in a new housing development, so they'll end up building.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Sandi, stay put and save yourself a lot of headaches. Our house is comping at twice what we paid for it ten years ago, but if we sold it, we couldn't buy anything like it. We're within four or five years of retirement, the house is paid for, so now is the time to be free of debt. Plus, we love the house and hunted for exactly what we wanted for months back then. The pickings in the housing market are much slimmer now.

DH works from home and he says there's a real estate agent knocking at the door about three times a week wanting us to sell the house, plus all the post cards in the mail.
Mackie
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:59 pm Finally, a weekend without any real grocery shopping. Spent less than $24 on some fill-ins, that should hold us 'til next week.

DD wants to join a seasonal musical group, they do pop-up concerts in various places over 3 months. I told her I see no issue with it other than gas to get to rehearsals and concerts (2x a week, pretty far as the crow flies, farther by car ;)) is now $3.08 per gallon and while I might subsidize it, I'm not paying for all of it.
Hopefully your gas prices have not climbed too astronomically yet. Frankly, I’d love to pay $3.08/gallon again. I think I paid $3.65/gallon 2 weeks ago to fill my 3/4 empty tank to full-even with Kroger gas coupons I paid over $65!!☹️😢☹️