Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: Sandi's 2022 multipart challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:55 pm I'm SO excited - we were reading the wrong data on in-state tuition where DS will spend the last 2 years of his bachelor's. It'll really be about HALF what we read, per the website. Lesson learned, sometimes you get the wrong paperwork. Whew!

So that just got a whole lot easier by the grace of God - once you figure out how to spend $X, only having to spend $X/2 looks like you're getting off easy :lol:

This means stepping up charitable giving, particularly to one specific organization we like, is also so much easier I don't have to wonder how it can happen.

Next area of ? is how taxes will shake out. We can itemize, so that'll help.

I should go be festive and stop this, LOL.
That is wonderful that your DS’s tuition will be less costly!

Sandi, I’m like you in that figuring my finances is fun for me. But now go and celebrate with your family. Stay warm!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:56 pm I’m like you in that figuring my finances is fun for me.
Sometimes I think it's fun, and sometimes I think it's that I just don't have any hobbies :lol:

When we were far less 'secure' (and I realize security can 'go' just as quickly if not moreso than it shows up) I had to plan for every nickel, so every. single. store. excursion, grocery or otherwise, resulted in a study of "will we be covered for...?" Now that that isn't required I still find myself doing it. Sometimes I get a little edgy if I feel like $ is being spent in ways that don't necessarily reflect longer-term goals. It's a "me" problem :shock: exacerbated by current inflationary issues. We're okay, we're just not as okay as we should be due to the $ of everything, and everyone but me here at the house is laid-back about that :lol:

I am SO not laid-back about that!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I was looking at savings compared to this time last year and freaked myself out by having forgotten that $ was moved into DS's 529b :roll:

This week we have the family meeting about next year's $ goals.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:10 pm Sometimes I think it's fun, and sometimes I think it's that I just don't have any hobbies :lol:

When we were far less 'secure' (and I realize security can 'go' just as quickly if not moreso than it shows up) I had to plan for every nickel, so every. single. store. excursion, grocery or otherwise, resulted in a study of "will we be covered for...?" Now that that isn't required I still find myself doing it. Sometimes I get a little edgy if I feel like $ is being spent in ways that don't necessarily reflect longer-term goals. It's a "me" problem :shock: exacerbated by current inflationary issues. We're okay, we're just not as okay as we should be due to the $ of everything, and everyone but me here at the house is laid-back about that :lol:

I am SO not laid-back about that!
You are doing great and I credit that at least in part because you are careful with your money.

Even though I have more than enough $$ to last my lifetime (I think!) I still write down everything I spend, large or small. $2 parking, write it down. $3.69 iced tea (Yikes!), write it down. I like to do it. But I don’t worry about money. (I know I’m “lucky” but I’ve worked hard to get to this point.)
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:09 am You are doing great and I credit that at least in part because you are careful with your money.

Even though I have more than enough $$ to last my lifetime (I think!) I still write down everything I spend, large or small. $2 parking, write it down. $3.69 iced tea (Yikes!), write it down. I like to do it. But I don’t worry about money. (I know I’m “lucky” but I’ve worked hard to get to this point.)
$3.69 for iced tea is highway robbery, LOL, unless it comes with a socializing thing that can't be $ quantified. DD goes out for dinner with the board of one of her orchestras during their 'season' once a week to plan and socialize - but she brings 4/5th or more of her dinner home - so we subsidize her dinners, since either her Dad or her brother ends up with it as a snack. "Priceless" food, at least for her; crazy expensive snacks ($18+ for BEET tacos - DH said they were 'amazing' and we grow beets, so... learning :lol:).

Every now and then (twice during the holidays) DH and I will go through the Dutch Bros. drive through, get coffee, overtip because we've both work as prep and waitstaff in our youth, sit someplace and watch people - or go to Lowe's! - while sipping coffee, and call it a date. We're cheap dates, LOL.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

A sixth of the year gone so you'd think I'd be at 1/6 of the savings goal done, right? Wrong.

We were there - we were $50 OVER 'there' and then DH and I had the same impression at the same time regarding a donation to a specific need and there went February's savings. And this month I have to make my quarterly SS and state tax payments (don't know the $ yet, the accountant has all the tax ppwk), re-up the tags for two of the vehicles and make deposits on some vacation rental stuff, so it does not look great for the first quarter. In the 2nd quarter, we actually take the vacation, which means that's probably not going to be great for savings.

July 1 - December 31, those are going to be lean days. :? Beans and rice all around!!