2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 pm Sheila glad you have a plan. I like to make my own sauces as well, but I do like to have a few cans of pasta sauce on hand for times when I am just not up making my own. Wish I had a chest freezer. My fridge freezer is stuffed right now. I would like to be able to make big pots of soups and chili and freeze portions for later.

I had not heard about a strawberry shortage. I guess our news depends on where we live and what we read or watch. lol
I haven't got a chest freezer either - it almost tempts me to get a very small one. With what dd and I have in my frige freezer, it is packed to the gills. I freeze a lot of things in glass jars and put those in the door part, so that helps, and I got some bins from dollar tree to hold frizen veggies. Still, space is at a premium.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I was happy to discover this morning that the cheap "breakfast bars" I bought at Save A Lot are delicious! The first bite was bursting with berry filling and the crust is perfect. There are some days, today being one, that I have to sit up in bed and eat something before my feet hit the floor, and today was such a day. The off brand bars I usually buy are not so great, so this was a pleasant surprise. It's the little things. ;)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

A few weeks ago I signed up with a program that provides care to the pets of people undergoing pallative or hospice care. I have Sept. 21 off from work to go to the in-person training - today I am doing 6 online training modules.

The care can be daily walks for dogs, taking pets to vet appointments, the groomer, etc., scooping litter boxes - you name it.

I know first hand from my knee injury how downright sad it is to not be able to care for my animals, so I am hoping I can make a positive difference to people and their 4-legged family members.

This training is very interesting to say the least. Even though I won't be volunteering directly "for the patients", I have to take the patient care training.

I was concerned that, because I work full time, I would not be able to contribute - the volunteer coordinator said that is not true at all - so we will see. It is high time I got outside my own self and did something for someone else. I think this is a great fit for me.

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:18 am A few weeks ago I signed up with a program that provides care to the pets of people undergoing pallative or hospice care. I have Sept. 21 off from work to go to the in-person training - today I am doing 6 online training modules.

The care can be daily walks for dogs, taking pets to vet appointments, the groomer, etc., scooping litter boxes - you name it.

I know first hand from my knee injury how downright sad it is to not be able to care for my animals, so I am hoping I can make a positive difference to people and their 4-legged family members.

This training is very interesting to say the least. Even though I won't be volunteering directly "for the patients", I have to take the patient care training.

I was concerned that, because I work full time, I would not be able to contribute - the volunteer coordinator said that is not true at all - so we will see. It is high time I got outside my own self and did something for someone else. I think this is a great fit for me.
This sounds fantastic and so meaningful. When I was so sick in June and hospitalized for a week, one of the main things in my mind was that I was glad this didn’t happen when Pippi was alive. Who would care for her and take her for her twice a week vet appointments? Who would make sure she was eating? And so many other Pippi thoughts. The program in your area sounds wonderful. Don’t overcommit yourself, however. You don’t want to burn out. Just my opinion.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:35 pm This sounds fantastic and so meaningful. When I was so sick in June and hospitalized for a week, one of the main things in my mind was that I was glad this didn’t happen when Pippi was alive. Who would care for her and take her for her twice a week vet appointments? Who would make sure she was eating? And so many other Pippi thoughts. The program in your area sounds wonderful. Don’t overcommit yourself, however. You don’t want to burn out. Just my opinion.
So true! I have already made it clear that I don't want to drive long distances for this - I hate driving under the best of circumstances so I don't need the stress of that. Hopefully I can help someone out that is very local.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Determined to not let the out of control food prices get the best of me, I am trying to simplify the menu a little more to eat healthy and save a bit. It is important to me to take pleasure in the food I eat, so still incorporating plenty of what I like.

I made a big batch of soup yesterday and froze in individual portions. I figure the whole batch cost me about $6.70 to make and I got 9 lunch size portions from that - so around .75 cents per serving.

The wraps I plan to make this week will cost about $4.00 total and I'll get 8 wraps - so .50 cents each.

I'm "estimating" cost here because I'm too lazy to do the actual math - but my estimates are close - and rounded up.

Snacks for this week are apples with sun butter (at work) and popcorn popped on the stove (at home). I have a lot of cheese left from our "pizza party" last weekend - I need to use some and freeze the rest. I have cabbage and kale to use too - I may add some kale to homemade mac&cheese and I love cabbage steaks done in the oven - so will make those.

Frozen bananas and strawberries need to be used - so will make smoothies this week and take one to work each morning - that should use up all of those. I will add some vegan protein powder.

I plan to bake a big tray of potatoes and have those for supper, topped with vegan chili that will use up some TVP. I could add some kale to that as well.

I am trying to cut back on carbs - but I already see wraps and potatoes and possibly past here. Perhaps a kale salad with dried cranberries and sunflower seeds instead of putting it in mac& cheese. We shall see!

Charles M. Schultz