2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by MackerelCat »

Sheila, good luck with the car. And yes, a new model is often comparable to used these days in price.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well the car I wanted is not going to happen. They were transporting it from another branch of their dealership to the one in my town. There was some miscommunication somewhere and they took it to the wrong location in Pennsylvania (we're "close" to PA) yesterday and someone bought it last night.

It was a beautiful 2021 Nissan Altima with just 14,400 miles on it for $23,999, they showed me a 2022 version that is the exact same car but they are asking $28,999 - and that 5K difference is not in my budget - well, maybe it could be but it's more than I am willing to spend.

The search continues...
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:27 am This might sound odd, but don’t discount the idea of buying a new car. Used car prices are so high right now that sometimes there is little difference with the price of a new car. Good luck!
New cars are scarce around here right now and that is driving the prices up. I was looking online last weekend fora new Sentra or Versa (less costly versions of my usual Maxma and Altima) and there just aren't any. I have a guy at the dealership looking for me - he said give him a couple of weeks.

UGH - I really want to buy by the end of May.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good luck, Sheila. My lovely boss and his wife wound up buying a Subaru with too many miles on it because they just couldn't find anything "younger."
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, I found a car. I saw it online yesterday morning at 5 am and at 7 30 pm I brought it home. It was a process and I got my boss's blessing to deal with insurance, etc. at work so everything would be ready to go.

I ended up getting a Nissan Sentra - the "next car down" from the Altima, although with the advances cars have made in 13 years, I don't feel like I downgraded.

It's a 2021 with 2,130 miles on it. It had been leased to just 1 person and they had just returned it. They were asking $20,999 and I didn't try to negotiate - the 2022's - essentially the exact same car - are going for $23,999. The finance guy did not even try to hide his frustration with me because I wouldn't sign for them to add this and that additional warranty.

The car comes with the manufacturers warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles plus the dealership warranty and that is all I need. My brother went with me and said he was proud of me for sticking to what I wanted and did not want.

The test drive was nerve racking - I had not driven since Christmas Eve!!

I was able to get financing through my credit union with a good interest rate and I plan to pay the car off early so I'll save there. I can't stand having a car payment so I'm going to knock it out as fast as I can.

I did not offer my other car for a trade in because they wouldn't budge on what they would give me and it was absurd - I can sell it to a place that buys cars for parts for a lot more. Right now I am insuring both cars but plan to get rid of my old car very soon - I don't think DD wants it, which is fine.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Considering I waited until the situation with car buying is pretty bad given the shortages driving prices up, I think I did alright. I would rather have had the cash in the bank to buy a car but it is what it is and I'm thankful to have a reliable vehicle again.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am glad that you found a car you definitely need one. It might not be the one you wanted, but as you say with all the advances in the past years things are added to make the cars a bit fancier all the time.

Enjoy and I know you will pay it off very quickly.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/