2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

Decided I will take $150 out in cash at the start of each month and that will be for grocery, household, pet food. Some months I won't need it all - the leftover cash will be stashed for any months when the $150 doesn't cut it. (For example, I don't need to buy dog food or dry cat food every month - and there may be times I want to stock up on some food items that are deeply discounted).
I have a decent stash of shampoo, toothpaste, etc. - so that won't be a need for many months. I have decided that when I wash the dress clothes that I wear to work, I won't use soap - they honestly don't need it. NO judgement, please - if you don't believe me, look it up. ;)

I found a stash of instant coffee that I forgot about. It's not my favorite thing, but will be using that up before I buy more ground coffee (of which I also have quite a bit). Also trying to use up some beans and lentils - I made lentil taco filling yesterday.
I have found that a good way to use up canned fruit and oats is to make a fruit crisp - it makes a very good and semi-healthy breakfast - probably not as healthy as boxed cereal.
Most of all, I am hoping to find more contentment and more BALANCE in 2022. I had 141 hours of paid time off taken away at the end of 2021 - that is nonsense. I did what I needed to do in 2021 - but I'm done not having balance. I am quite jaded about the whole situation - the comments like "you are so great, you have kept us going all by yourself...blah blah blah..." don't make up for any of it. I did what I HAD TO do - but I don't have to anymore and I"m going to make sure I don't have to anymore.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:36 pm Decided I will take $150 out in cash at the start of each month and that will be for grocery, household, pet food. Some months I won't need it all - the leftover cash will be stashed for any months when the $150 doesn't cut it. (For example, I don't need to buy dog food or dry cat food every month - and there may be times I want to stock up on some food items that are deeply discounted).
I have a decent stash of shampoo, toothpaste, etc. - so that won't be a need for many months. I have decided that when I wash the dress clothes that I wear to work, I won't use soap - they honestly don't need it. NO judgement, please - if you don't believe me, look it up. ;)

I found a stash of instant coffee that I forgot about. It's not my favorite thing, but will be using that up before I buy more ground coffee (of which I also have quite a bit). Also trying to use up some beans and lentils - I made lentil taco filling yesterday.
I have found that a good way to use up canned fruit and oats is to make a fruit crisp - it makes a very good and semi-healthy breakfast - probably not as healthy as boxed cereal.
Most of all, I am hoping to find more contentment and more BALANCE in 2022. I had 141 hours of paid time off taken away at the end of 2021 - that is nonsense. I did what I needed to do in 2021 - but I'm done not having balance. I am quite jaded about the whole situation - the comments like "you are so great, you have kept us going all by yourself...blah blah blah..." don't make up for any of it. I did what I HAD TO do - but I don't have to anymore and I"m going to make sure I don't have to anymore.
Sheila that sucks that you lost all of those hours. Good for you that you are going to look out for yourself.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:36 pm Most of all, I am hoping to find more contentment and more BALANCE in 2022. I had 141 hours of paid time off taken away at the end of 2021 - that is nonsense. I did what I needed to do in 2021 - but I'm done not having balance. I am quite jaded about the whole situation - the comments like "you are so great, you have kept us going all by yourself...blah blah blah..." don't make up for any of it. I did what I HAD TO do - but I don't have to anymore and I"m going to make sure I don't have to anymore.
:shock: They didn't even pay you for those hrs? If our guys don't take all their PTO, it gets tacked on their hours for the last week of the year and paid out.

I'd have a calendar out and be plotting my time off for 2022. If things get tight and you have time off set up, "Sorry, I have plans." Doesn't matter if your plan is to sit in the tub with a novel, it's a plan and you're sticking to it.
Last edited by SandiSAHM on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:58 pm :shock: They didn't even pay you for those hrs? If our guys don't take all their PTO, it tacked on their hours for the last week of the year and paid out.

I'd have a calendar out and be plotting my time off for 2022. If things get tight and you have time off set up, "Sorry, I have plans." Doesn't matter if your plan is to sit in the tub with a novel, it's a plan and you're sticking to it.
The hospital where I worked it was mandatory to take a minimum of two weeks' vacation. You could take it a day or an hour at a time. After that anything over that they would buy back from you at the end of the year or sooner if you requested it. I had 4 weeks' vacation and usually sold back two weeks for the extra money.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:04 pm The hospital where I worked it was mandatory to take a minimum of two weeks' vacation. You could take it a day or an hour at a time. After that anything over that they would buy back from you at the end of the year or sooner if you requested it. I had 4 weeks' vacation and usually sold back two weeks for the extra money.
DH's company will either pay out leftover PTO or let you carry it over to the next year. He carried 34 hrs over to 2022, so he's got nearly 6 wks vaca for the year. I told him - it's almost like you're a European ;)
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:58 pm :shock: They didn't even pay you for those hrs? If our guys don't take all their PTO, it gets tacked on their hours for the last week of the year and paid out.

I was able to roll over 99 hours into 2022 but we can only carry a balance of 240 hours going into a new year - so taking away the 141 left me with 240. My time off for 2022 is already on the calendar - 5 full weeks plus every Friday in June, July, August - and several other random Fridays.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz