2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackie, thank you, your encouraging words mean a lot. It has not bothered me too much not having a car but will definitely need a car for work this summer - plus - one day last week, my dog was coughing (she turned out to be fine) and it hit me hard that I could not take my dogs to the vet if necessary, so I put the search into motion.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 am Well, I found a car. I saw it online yesterday morning at 5 am and at 7 30 pm I brought it home. It was a process and I got my boss's blessing to deal with insurance, etc. at work so everything would be ready to go.

I ended up getting a Nissan Sentra - the "next car down" from the Altima, although with the advances cars have made in 13 years, I don't feel like I downgraded.

It's a 2021 with 2,130 miles on it. It had been leased to just 1 person and they had just returned it. They were asking $20,999 and I didn't try to negotiate - the 2022's - essentially the exact same car - are going for $23,999. The finance guy did not even try to hide his frustration with me because I wouldn't sign for them to add this and that additional warranty.

The car comes with the manufacturers warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles plus the dealership warranty and that is all I need. My brother went with me and said he was proud of me for sticking to what I wanted and did not want.

The test drive was nerve racking - I had not driven since Christmas Eve!!

I was able to get financing through my credit union with a good interest rate and I plan to pay the car off early so I'll save there. I can't stand having a car payment so I'm going to knock it out as fast as I can.

I did not offer my other car for a trade in because they wouldn't budge on what they would give me and it was absurd - I can sell it to a place that buys cars for parts for a lot more. Right now I am insuring both cars but plan to get rid of my old car very soon - I don't think DD wants it, which is fine.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Considering I waited until the situation with car buying is pretty bad given the shortages driving prices up, I think I did alright. I would rather have had the cash in the bank to buy a car but it is what it is and I'm thankful to have a reliable vehicle again.
Congratulations! You did well! You were smart to get it. My friend and her DH just bought a 2019 Honda and there were not many choices even in my more urban area. Good for you for turning down the additional warranty. That is one mistake I made when I bought my car. I fell for the 10-year extended warranty. (The car came with a three year warranty). I knew almost immediately that it was a bad decision. Such is life.

I always financed through our company credit union, too, and paid it off as soon as possible. I did pay cash for my current car but all others were financed.

I love my 10-year-old Honda but the new cars have so many safety features. You’ll really enjoy your new car, I know.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:16 pm Congratulations! You did well! You were smart to get it. My friend and her DH just bought a 2019 Honda and there were not many choices even in my more urban area. Good for you for turning down the additional warranty. That is one mistake I made when I bought my car. I fell for the 10-year extended warranty. (The car came with a three year warranty). I knew almost immediately that it was a bad decision. Such is life.

I always financed through our company credit union, too, and paid it off as soon as possible. I did pay cash for my current car but all others were financed.

I love my 10-year-old Honda but the new cars have so many safety features. You’ll really enjoy your new car, I know.
Thanks, Floridacat, I appreciate your support - this was a difficult decision. They also had 2 2019's on the website with 30-ish and 40-ish thousand miles - I was going to go for one of those if I couldn't get this one. I still haven't driven it except for the test drive and to bring it home - don't want to drive just for the sake of driving. I am hopeful that it will serve me well - according to the car's "report", they rate it 92% likely to still be operational in 5 years. I would prefer 100% - but probably no cars get that score.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Sheila, you did very well and I know you are glad that's over.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

The sticker shock at the grocery stores wasn't as bad today as it has been the last few times I shopped for food. I spent $70.34 at Save A Lot and $50.58 at the "regular" grocery and am good for at least 2 weeks.

The deals and markdowns are not as good as they once were. There was nothing left on the rescued produce cart and the bakery markdowns were still - what I consider to be - too expensive.

I did not get my cooking done today but I have some bagged salads to get me through the first couple days of work lunches and hope to cook up a storm tomorrow after work. We shall see. I did indulge in some "treat items" today - it makes a difference if I know I have some yummy snacks on hand. i got some chocolate covered pretzels to dip in peanut butter - so good!

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

The pretzels sound awesome. We all deserve a treat at one point or another for all our frugal good work.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/