2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

So for the past year of so I've been allowing myself to think "retirement". What with my shrinking 403(b) - the non-profit equivalent of a 401K, and the car purchase, I need to retrain my brain to focus on working for the next 5 years at least - possibly 7,plan C - possibly 10.

This is not terrible news by any means - just a bit disappointing - and who knows what the future holds? I planned on working in retirement anyway, although part time. It could still happen - I just need to keep all my ducks in a straight row (providing they don't fly away, lol) and forge ahead.

I'm not limited to one option - there are may choices, may ways to go - sell my house, relocate, etc. We shall see...
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:44 pm So for the past year of so I've been allowing myself to think "retirement". What with my shrinking 403(b) - the non-profit equivalent of a 401K, and the car purchase, I need to retrain my brain to focus on working for the next 5 years at least - possibly 7,plan C - possibly 10.

This is not terrible news by any means - just a bit disappointing - and who knows what the future holds? I planned on working in retirement anyway, although part time. It could still happen - I just need to keep all my ducks in a straight row (providing they don't fly away, lol) and forge ahead.

I'm not limited to one option - there are may choices, may ways to go - sell my house, relocate, etc. We shall see...
Don’t give up your dream of retirement in five years - but it is, of course, good to have alternative plans. The stock market could turn around any time. Stay the course.

You have done SO fantastic since I first “met” you when you lived on the mountain. In my opinion, you are doing everything right. 🎉 Just keep doing what you are doing.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:07 am Don’t give up your dream of retirement in five years - but it is, of course, good to have alternative plans. The stock market could turn around any time. Stay the course.

You have done SO fantastic since I first “met” you when you lived on the mountain. In my opinion, you are doing everything right. 🎉 Just keep doing what you are doing.
Floridacat, I appreciate how you are always so encouraging. And you're right - I just have to stay the course and see how it all plays out. Have a blessed day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

My first car payment is due June 13th and I have the money set aside. I really want to double down and pay it off early and will need to manage that with saving at the same time, don't want to stop saving while I'm doing that.

I bought gas this morning for the first time in many months - sticker shock!! - but topped off the tank for $35.01. I need to be mindful to not take a lot of short in-town trips when I can transport myself using my two legs - better for my health, my wallet, and the environment.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 am Well, I found a car. I saw it online yesterday morning at 5 am and at 7 30 pm I brought it home. It was a process and I got my boss's blessing to deal with insurance, etc. at work so everything would be ready to go.

I ended up getting a Nissan Sentra - the "next car down" from the Altima, although with the advances cars have made in 13 years, I don't feel like I downgraded.

It's a 2021 with 2,130 miles on it. It had been leased to just 1 person and they had just returned it. They were asking $20,999 and I didn't try to negotiate - the 2022's - essentially the exact same car - are going for $23,999. The finance guy did not even try to hide his frustration with me because I wouldn't sign for them to add this and that additional warranty.

The car comes with the manufacturers warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles plus the dealership warranty and that is all I need. My brother went with me and said he was proud of me for sticking to what I wanted and did not want.

The test drive was nerve racking - I had not driven since Christmas Eve!!

I was able to get financing through my credit union with a good interest rate and I plan to pay the car off early so I'll save there. I can't stand having a car payment so I'm going to knock it out as fast as I can.

I did not offer my other car for a trade in because they wouldn't budge on what they would give me and it was absurd - I can sell it to a place that buys cars for parts for a lot more. Right now I am insuring both cars but plan to get rid of my old car very soon - I don't think DD wants it, which is fine.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Considering I waited until the situation with car buying is pretty bad given the shortages driving prices up, I think I did alright. I would rather have had the cash in the bank to buy a car but it is what it is and I'm thankful to have a reliable vehicle again.
Sheila Congrats on your new car. Enjoy!
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

UGH - purchased more than I had planned at the grocery. Got home with my $4 (on sale!) bag of lemons to discover 2 of the 8 lemons were completely rotten - back to the store. Got a full refund and got to keep the 6 "good" (not great) lemons. Good grief, I'm not paying good money for rotten food! Rant over.

Charles M. Schultz