2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by MackerelCat »

I had that problem this winter with tangerines, which aren't cheap at $5 for a small bag. I'd get home and find one or two rotten in the bag. It was hard to tell through the tight orange mesh of the bag. Now I pick them up and sniff the bag from a couple of inches away. If anything smells off, the bag does not come home with me.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:48 pm I had that problem this winter with tangerines, which aren't cheap at $5 for a small bag. I'd get home and find one or two rotten in the bag. It was hard to tell through the tight orange mesh of the bag. Now I pick them up and sniff the bag from a couple of inches away. If anything smells off, the bag does not come home with me.
Lesson learned. I looked them over but not closely enough. They said I could get a new bag of lemons or a refund and I was surprised they let me keep the 6 "good" lemons - but okay!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

The regular grocery store in town does this "monopoly game" where you earn tickets or tokens or whatever they are when you shop and when you purchase certain things. A couple weeks ago I was cashed out by a manager and he said he was going to give me a bunch of extra tickets because "nobody wants them."

I opened my tickets last night and I've "won" several free items including a 24 oz. jar of pasta sauce and 3 different sparkling waters - something I don't buy but I'll take them if they're free. Ahhhhh, it's the little things that make me happy.

My first car payment is due June 13. In case I haven't mentioned it (HAHAHA), I detest having a car payment and plan to get this nasty business over with in record time, whatever it takes. I still need to sell my old car which I will get to working on this week while I'm off work.

Speaking of work, I think I may be addicted to work - I do believe I had an honest to goodness, panic attack because I won't be going to work this week. Sounds crazy, right? But for real, the anxiety I have about not going to work is real - feels like I'm doing something wrong by staying home. Not to arm chair analyze my own problem, but I'm certain this comes from my childhood - we were quite poor - and when there wasn't enough, my parents worked more to make there be enough. At one time, my dad had his full time job and 3 part time jobs and my mom had 2 part time jobs and cleaned houses and put up wallpaper for people on the side, plus did babysitting. They also spent any "free" time they had - often late into the night - building picnic tables from scrap wood and they sold them.

The rational part of my brain knows that I'm getting paid to stay home this week. The other part...it feels wrong to not to go work (plus I'm a control freak - and I'm not there to be in control). Hey, at least I know what my issues are and can admit to them. I'm going to try hard to enjoy this time off. Wish me luck.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good luck! You worked very hard to get the kind of job that allows you this kind of time of and you put in lots of extra hours to get that time. So quietly give yourself a high five and enjoy doing stuff around the house.

Way to go on slashing down the car payment! Doubling up payments or everything extra you can throw at it will make the years melt away.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:14 am The regular grocery store in town does this "monopoly game" where you earn tickets or tokens or whatever they are when you shop and when you purchase certain things. A couple weeks ago I was cashed out by a manager and he said he was going to give me a bunch of extra tickets because "nobody wants them."

I opened my tickets last night and I've "won" several free items including a 24 oz. jar of pasta sauce and 3 different sparkling waters - something I don't buy but I'll take them if they're free. Ahhhhh, it's the little things that make me happy.

My first car payment is due June 13. In case I haven't mentioned it (HAHAHA), I detest having a car payment and plan to get this nasty business over with in record time, whatever it takes. I still need to sell my old car which I will get to working on this week while I'm off work.

Speaking of work, I think I may be addicted to work - I do believe I had an honest to goodness, panic attack because I won't be going to work this week. Sounds crazy, right? But for real, the anxiety I have about not going to work is real - feels like I'm doing something wrong by staying home. Not to arm chair analyze my own problem, but I'm certain this comes from my childhood - we were quite poor - and when there wasn't enough, my parents worked more to make there be enough. At one time, my dad had his full time job and 3 part time jobs and my mom had 2 part time jobs and cleaned houses and put up wallpaper for people on the side, plus did babysitting. They also spent any "free" time they had - often late into the night - building picnic tables from scrap wood and they sold them.

The rational part of my brain knows that I'm getting paid to stay home this week. The other part...it feels wrong to not to go work (plus I'm a control freak - and I'm not there to be in control). Hey, at least I know what my issues are and can admit to them. I'm going to try hard to enjoy this time off. Wish me luck.
I understand where you are coming from with the anxiety attack about your week off at home. When I first took early retirement, I felt totally guilty. Just remember that you’ve earned this time off and you should thoroughly enjoy it.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Thank you, Floridacat, I am sure going to try. BTW, I just want to say that I appreciate you - I feel like you are always cheering me on and throwing a great deal of gentle wisdom my way.

Charles M. Schultz