2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

This is a 3 paycheck month instead of two so that will be good for maxing an extra car payment and building up savings.

Also doing a bit of a stock up at Walmart tomorrow - and maybe Aldi since I'll be in the neighborhood. I have a big grocery list and want to grab extra dish soap and laundry soap, and pet food.

I hope to buy myself a new toaster and electric griddle too - excited about that. When I lived in my trailer in the woods, I had a wonderful griddle for my gas stove that I loved - but no gas stove here. I find it so much easier to make a batch of pancakes on a griddle than in a frying pan - it's just not the same.

I still want to get a laptop so it will be easier to work on my writing side job. I haven't been doing that as much since I've been using this chromebook - it's awful for word processing purposes.

That's all I got - staying grateful and content and taking things a day at a time with all this inflation going on.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Since the non-dairy frozen desserts are generally $5 and up for a pint, I just generally do without. However, I heard yesterday that Dollar Tree might have the Kind brand, so I checked. They had 5 pints of the dark chocolate almond flavor - I got all 5 - a nice little stash. I bought a box of waffle cones too.

I do go out for a dairy ice cream treat once every summer - DD and I already did that for this year.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have applied for a couple of jobs just to see what happens. One of them is working with our local village in the clerk's office, doing Human Resources and Payroll duties - very similar to what I do now. I don't know if they can hire me if they wanted to, as my son works for the village utility company and I'm not sure what their polices are on that - but we'll see if I even get an interview.

At the very least, I am hoping to gain some "clout" (not sure that's the word I'm looking for) with my current employer. There is a whole lot of back story that I'm not going to go into - let's just say that my current position and responsibilities are NOT being adequately compensated.

An internal person is moving to my office to replace my former coworker and I have been informed that they will NOT be reducing her pay - which is way more than our office normally pays - and considerably more than I currently make - and no mention has been made of increasing my pay.

It is not my intention to be a brat about this - it's a fact that it doesn't hurt to look at other options.

Charles M. Schultz
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Hi Happydaze,

I'm sorry to hear you are having some problems with your employer. Why is it with *anything* you only count if you are a new customer or employee? I get so tired of seeing good offers from places I already do business with stating the offers are for new customers only. Why are long time customers always pushed aside? Do businesses find a challenge to recruit new unknown people? People with bad employment or bad credit histories?

Ugh I am fighting with a vendor right now, As you know credit cards expire and information needs to updated. Why does it have to be a hassle? I am so close to cancelling an account because their site wans to play games with me. I do not have time for that.

In spite of it all I hope you are having a good 4th. Are you getting together with family?

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Bev, I won't pretend it doesn't sting a bit to feel undervalued and underpaid. I have student loans because I went back to school in 2010 when this employer wanted me to, I've done all the projects, etc. that nobody else wanted, etc.and then I see new people starting at more than I make.

I am sorry you're having such a hassle with updating your information - that sort of thing drives me bananas.

I will not be gathering with family as DD is away till Thursday and DS and his wife are away visiting friends.
I don't gather with parents/siblings for holidays for various reasons, so it's just me and the dogs today. I am more than fine with that, I have really enjoyed every minute of my long weekend alone. I wish you and yours a good 4th as well.

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze, I hope something wonderful comes out of your job search. (((HUGS))) Bev, it often takes threatening to stop being a customer to get the right kind of service. It's a sad commentary that those who are faithful and do the right things are not rewarded.

The other day we lower-level employees received an e-mail that our starting wage would be bumped up $2, in response to how expensive it is to live now. This is $2 less than employees had been agitating for, so it is a compromise. This is retroactive, so I do get a raise out of it. This is putting me closer to what I ought to be paid, considering my education and experience, so I'm happier with that. (I'd be super happy if we'd received what we'd been trying to get, but it took years to get the compromise increase.)

I'll never catch up for the lost years of taking care of my son when he was little and my mom when she was sick, but that's life.
Mackie