2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 am You know, at your mother's age, furniture is the last thing she needs. Good for you for realizing what makes an excellent gift.
Agreed. My mom loves to fill her bird feeders and keep the birds fed and my parents simply can't spend on that. I keep her well supplied and give her bird seed at Christmas, her birthday, mothers day and buy her a couple more bags at random times throughout the year. I can't see someone her age giving up that simple pleasure when I can make it happen.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I pass a pizza place every day, where the fried cauliflower that I LOVE is now over $10 for an order. I came home today and decided to try my hand at a homemade version. I used frozen defrosted cauliflower that I paid $1.29 for and at the most, maybe $1.50 in other ingredients. It was surprisingly delicious - frugal contentment for the win!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

i am going to look at a car/cars today after work. I don't WANT to buy a car - but...

I can't exactly say to my employer, "sorry, can't go where you want to send me - no car"

My thoughts are in this cycle of "have to buy a car so I can work, have to work so I can buy a car" and I need to move away from that and just be glad I can buy a car.

I know they're going to low-ball me on the trade in so looking into selling my car to a parts place - they gave my daughter an excellent payout for hers and mine is "newer" and in better condition.

My brother is taking me to the dealership so that will be helpful.

Realistically, I do need a vehicle, aside from the work reason I need to be able to take my dogs to the vet, drive to the less expensive stores, check on my parents, etc. Public transportation around here doesn't cut it unless you're catching a regularly scheduled ride on a regular route.

Of course I don't know yet what car (if any) I will get today and what the cost will be but I'm thinking go with a 5-year loan (to give myself some breathing room IF needed) but focus on paying it off in 3 years. My credit score is back in the excellent range so fingers crossed.

I have done my homework, know what i'm looking for (2 to 5 years old, low mileage) and what questions to ask (carfax reports, total cost, etc.). Wish me luck, friends. I really want to "get happy" about this but I'm so spoiled by not having a car payment for the past 8 years. I wish I had been in a situation where I could have made a car payment to ME - and paid cash for this vehicle - but it is what it is.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Keeping my fingers crossed that you find exactly what you need and want for an excellent price.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:11 am i am going to look at a car/cars today after work. I don't WANT to buy a car - but...

I can't exactly say to my employer, "sorry, can't go where you want to send me - no car"

My thoughts are in this cycle of "have to buy a car so I can work, have to work so I can buy a car" and I need to move away from that and just be glad I can buy a car.

I know they're going to low-ball me on the trade in so looking into selling my car to a parts place - they gave my daughter an excellent payout for hers and mine is "newer" and in better condition.

My brother is taking me to the dealership so that will be helpful.

Realistically, I do need a vehicle, aside from the work reason I need to be able to take my dogs to the vet, drive to the less expensive stores, check on my parents, etc. Public transportation around here doesn't cut it unless you're catching a regularly scheduled ride on a regular route.

Of course I don't know yet what car (if any) I will get today and what the cost will be but I'm thinking go with a 5-year loan (to give myself some breathing room IF needed) but focus on paying it off in 3 years. My credit score is back in the excellent range so fingers crossed.

I have done my homework, know what i'm looking for (2 to 5 years old, low mileage) and what questions to ask (carfax reports, total cost, etc.). Wish me luck, friends. I really want to "get happy" about this but I'm so spoiled by not having a car payment for the past 8 years. I wish I had been in a situation where I could have made a car payment to ME - and paid cash for this vehicle - but it is what it is.
This might sound odd, but don’t discount the idea of buying a new car. Used car prices are so high right now that sometimes there is little difference with the price of a new car. Good luck!
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I also agree to look at new cars. They have safety features built in and more times than not you can get a lower interest loan.

Bev