2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by MackerelCat »

That was really terrible about your ex. A lot to work through, hon.

I'm with you on not working a second job. Heck, dedicated frugality IS my second job. I was thinking about that Sunday while I was spending hours in the kitchen putting up discount vegetables in the freezer, prepping my lunches for the week (all from discounted ingredients) and baking snacks for us. If I picked up breakfast and lunch at work, it would cost me $13 a day times 5, and that adds up to pile of money over the course of a year. A vending machine soda is $2 each. Iced tea from home is pennies.

When I retired, I may never prep my lunch again, but it will definitely be worth having done it for years and years on end.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Money in, money out. I got $100 sent to paypal from 2 different sites - one survey site and Digital Reflection Panel. Also received a check for $187.50 from a class action lawsuit against one of my credit cards. I put all that money into savings.

I spent over $80 at Family Dollar this morning but I bought a lot of stuff. Dog food, cat food, bird seed, bleach, vinegar, baking soda, bathroom tissue, dog treats, Sheila treats (potato chips, cookies), candle lighters, a crossword puzzle book, several greeting cards, bread, coffee, colored pencils, batteries, Hershey's cocoa, and some other random unnecessaries.

I need to do a food inventory and menu plan before I go to the grocery store. I also need to stop being so lazy about cooking and make some veggie burgers, soup, etc. for the freezer.

I have $25 set aside for the fair tomorrow night - it's $5 to get in and I'm sure I'll blow through the remaining $20 buying a couple of snacks. I'm looking forward to strolling around and looking at the exhibits with my friend.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Trying to get stocked up for winter on the things I use a lot during colder weather - canned tomato products, dried beans, lentils, canned fruit, canned tomato soup (2 or $1 at Dollar Tree for an off-brand that is actually surprisingly good), creamy wheat cereal, tea bags, etc.

Save A Lot had large containers of baking cocoa for $2.47 which I thought was amazing - got 2 and they will last me for a long time. Flour...wow it has gone up but still a good buy because it can be used for so many things.

I need to hit up Dollar Tree again for pancake syrup (I like the cheap, fake stuff, I can't stand pure maple syrup).

I'm saving my Amazon credits to do a stock up of pastas and instant potatoes, textured vegetable protein, vegan broth base, and nutritional yeast. I also want to bulk up the stash of pet foods and bathroom tissue. It will be nice to not have to go to the store when the weather is terrible.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:09 pm Trying to get stocked up for winter on the things I use a lot during colder weather - canned tomato products, dried beans, lentils, canned fruit, canned tomato soup (2 or $1 at Dollar Tree for an off-brand that is actually surprisingly good), creamy wheat cereal, tea bags, etc.

Save A Lot had large containers of baking cocoa for $2.47 which I thought was amazing - got 2 and they will last me for a long time. Flour...wow it has gone up but still a good buy because it can be used for so many things.

I need to hit up Dollar Tree again for pancake syrup (I like the cheap, fake stuff, I can't stand pure maple syrup).

I'm saving my Amazon credits to do a stock up of pastas and instant potatoes, textured vegetable protein, vegan broth base, and nutritional yeast. I also want to bulk up the stash of pet foods and bathroom tissue. It will be nice to not have to go to the store when the weather is terrible.

Sheila I am not sure if you have read anything about a possible pasta sauce shortage? They said most of the tomatoes for pasta sauce is grown in one area in California and due to the drought, they are not able to produce as much.

I have been doing a winter stock up as well. Wishing you good luck in finding what you need at really good low prices.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:44 pm Sheila I am not sure if you have read anything about a possible pasta sauce shortage? They said most of the tomatoes for pasta sauce is grown in one area in California and due to the drought, they are not able to produce as much.

I have been doing a winter stock up as well. Wishing you good luck in finding what you need at really good low prices.
I've not heard that, Janet. I have been hearing about a strawberry shortage though. I have been buying the big restaurant size cans of tomato sauce, 4 so far. Once opened, I will use what I need and freeze the rest in 1 and 2 cup portions. I figure by buying the large cans of plain sauce or crushed tomatoes, I can turn it into pizza sauce or pasta sauce or add a little bit to chili or whatever.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:58 pm I've not heard that, Janet. I have been hearing about a strawberry shortage though. I have been buying the big restaurant size cans of tomato sauce, 4 so far. Once opened, I will use what I need and freeze the rest in 1 and 2 cup portions. I figure by buying the large cans of plain sauce or crushed tomatoes, I can turn it into pizza sauce or pasta sauce or add a little bit to chili or whatever.
Sheila glad you have a plan. I like to make my own sauces as well, but I do like to have a few cans of pasta sauce on hand for times when I am just not up making my own. Wish I had a chest freezer. My fridge freezer is stuffed right now. I would like to be able to make big pots of soups and chili and freeze portions for later.

I had not heard about a strawberry shortage. I guess our news depends on where we live and what we read or watch. lol
Janet Alliesmama