2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
ChristmasTrees

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Love your rambling! I feel the same in so many ways. DH and I say that to each other constantly..we are so fortunate..blessed..lucky.
Our biggest blessing is having our kids and grandies on the property right next to us. We help each other out all the time.
Sheila...just a note. Good sneakers will keep your back and knees in good shape. I wear mine too long before replacing them. I am determined to replace them on a better schedule instead of getting the very last bit out of them. The old ones turn into gardening shoes.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:51 pm Love your rambling! I feel the same in so many ways. DH and I say that to each other constantly..we are so fortunate..blessed..lucky.
Our biggest blessing is having our kids and grandies on the property right next to us. We help each other out all the time.
Sheila...just a note. Good sneakers will keep your back and knees in good shape. I wear mine too long before replacing them. I am determined to replace them on a better schedule instead of getting the very last bit out of them. The old ones turn into gardening shoes.
Trees, can I ask you what kind of sneakers you buy? I need something good for walking long distances - and for all my searching online, I am just getting more overwhelmed and confused.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I don't stick with any one brand. I would just go in and try on a few and buy the ones I felt were more comfortable..and have enough support. I did this because two different styles by the same manufacturer were often two different sizes.
Now I need some new ones and will have to try online shoe shopping.
Sorry for the no help.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 am I don't stick with any one brand. I would just go in and try on a few and buy the ones I felt were more comfortable..and have enough support. I did this because two different styles by the same manufacturer were often two different sizes.
Now I need some new ones and will have to try online shoe shopping.
Sorry for the no help.
No worries, friend, I'm in the same pickle - have to do it online. I'm partial to New Balance so maybe I'll start there - too many options is what the problem is!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have completed 12 online surveys this morning and am just taking a break before I get back to it. The mturk survey payments go right to my bank account so I focus on those the most. Did my bill paying this morning as well.

I am amazed that my checking account pays 2% interest and my savings less than 1% - in which case, why would anyone transfer money to a savings account that pays less than their checking account? Even those "high interest" online banks aren't paying what my checking account does.

The loan I have on my retirement account will be paid off in February. I will just increase my contribution again by about the amount of the payments. Today is my son's birthday. I mailed off a card to him the other day with a $15 Taco Bell gift card I got doing surveys. I know his wife packs lunches for both of them but thought he might enjoy having it - or they can both get a meal. DD and her SO brought me a bean and rice wrap (don't know the proper name for it) from Taco Bell last night. I'm not a big fan but "yes" to a free meal.

I will be walking to Family Dollar and Dollar Tree a little later today. I need coffee filters, dog treats, almond milk, toastadas, and I'm thinking it's time to get some more bath tissue. Maybe will hit the grocery store around the corner as well - see what markdowns they have and what is on the discount produce and bakery racks. Last time we were there, DD paid $6.99 for a can of coffee. I paid $4.89 for the SAME can of coffee - because my can was dented. It just makes sense to look.

Planning a stockpile restock using a Target gift card that I have "almost earned" on a survey site. I like to order almond milk and bags of dried beans and other "non-perishables" when I get a Target card. It is cold in the house this morning and no sign of the sun shining anytime soon. Once I get my running around done, I'll move back to the bedroom where it is "warmer-ish" and do my reading, crossword puzzles, etc. A nice way to relax on an afternoon at home.

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm No worries, friend, I'm in the same pickle - have to do it online. I'm partial to New Balance so maybe I'll start there - too many options is what the problem is!
I had shoe problems (toe pain, but just on one side, and just general discomfort) with almost every pair of shoes I'd bought for the last 5-6 years - which admittedly wasn't many because I hate to shop and go barefoot in the house. DH kept saying, "let's go to the New Balance store," and I kept thinking "what do they have there that I can't find in the New Balance section of every other store?"

Expertise! I finally let him drag me there and lo, I was wearing the wrong size shoes, in styles that did not have the correct "box" for my duck feet. A kid (had to have been 20, maybe) sold me the most ridiculously priced sneakers, US made, and it's been amazing. No pain, no friction, lots of support. The box says they're "W990GL5" running shoes. I haven't run in them ;) outside of maybe 10-ft sprints to get out of the crosswalk at grocery stores, but I've walked quite a way over the course of a few sequential days, pain free.

I wish they came in more dressy styles with the same overall support, but the store was 90% sneakers, along with a few men's shoes that looked like sneakers disguised as dress shoes.