2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by MackerelCat »

I loved The Cheapskate Next Door. The other book looks very intriguing. I have been working on paring down for years. It's been helped along by having a kitchen built almost entirely for looks instead of utility. :-D

Before Christmas, I bought "The Day the World Stops Shopping" by JB MacKinnon with some Barnes & Noble gift cards earned through Fetch points. Reading about how much cardboard Amazon puts into the waste stream everyday cemented my resolve to break up with it.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I do not remember a day when I have been more content to do nothing. I took the day off from work due to feeling terrible this morning and I think a day of rest is just what the doctor ordered (doctor me, lol). I drank multiple mugs of herbal tea, ate yummy but "bad" food, and took a couple of naps. DD asked me if I wanted anything from the store and I couldn't think of a thing. It was a good day, in spite of feeling so bad this morning.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Never do I feel more content at home with what I have then when it's difficult to get out due to weather. We have a layer of ice all over everything this morning and I'm thankful I got my necessary shopping done yesterday.

I realized yesterday that I have an abundance of candles and should not have to buy any for ages and ages. My daughter and daughter-in-law have gifted me some very nice ones for various occasions (Mother's Day, Christmas( the past couple of years. I like to light one or two in the early mornings so I can see to make coffee, etc. without turning on lights. I have a few large jar candles put back in case the power goes out but it's nice to use the smaller ones and they smell so good. Currently burning vanilla-spearmint.

I I am keeping a list of things I need or think I need and calling it my "frugal watch list" - I will check a local thrift store for some and others will be bought new but taking advantage of sales, rebates, rewards, survey points, whatever good deal my cheapskate brain can come up with.

New sneakers top the list. I bought two pair almost 5 years ago - I always get two at a time and alternate which pair I wear - they are both so worn out and one pair officially went to shoe heaven yesterday - after I rescued the perfectly good laces to use as spare laces for my winter boots. I am still doing research on what would be good for distance walking - not very successful, so if anyone has suggestions, they are welcome. I will spend up to $100 per pair if I feel they are worth it but buying on sale has allowed me to spend far less in the past - I think I got my last two pairs for $109 and change for both.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Please tolerate my rambling - I have been thinking about all the ways I am blessed and the following things make me feel so secure - and really, almost rich!

Paying all my bills and having money left over, searching frantically for the math mistake, and realizing I did not make a math mistake. The first time that happened there was a dance party for one in my kitchen, lol

Long, hot baths and showers. A cupboard full of food. Nice scented candles. Good sneakers. Getting my hair done AND buying groceries - in the same week! Driving a car that is paid for. A stack of warm blankets and comfortable pillows on my bed. Paying the Vet bill (or the doctor or whatever it is) with a check instead of a credit card. Increasing my retirement savings. Buying the good coffee. Saying "yes" to a friend who wants to meet for lunch. Filling my gas tank instead of putting just $5 of gas in. Having to quit my second job (my back couldn't take it) and not thinking it's the end of the world.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

We are blessed in so many things HappyDaze that writing them down seems to help us remember even more ways.

I love your list and your ramblings.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:36 am We are blessed in so many things HappyDaze that writing them down seems to help us remember even more ways.

I love your list and your ramblings.
jackie, when you say what you are grateful for in your daily check-ins, that is a wonderful reminder for me as well.

Charles M. Schultz