2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:55 am I had shoe problems (toe pain, but just on one side, and just general discomfort) with almost every pair of shoes I'd bought for the last 5-6 years - which admittedly wasn't many because I hate to shop and go barefoot in the house. DH kept saying, "let's go to the New Balance store," and I kept thinking "what do they have there that I can't find in the New Balance section of every other store?"

Expertise! I finally let him drag me there and lo, I was wearing the wrong size shoes, in styles that did not have the correct "box" for my duck feet. A kid (had to have been 20, maybe) sold me the most ridiculously priced sneakers, US made, and it's been amazing. No pain, no friction, lots of support. The box says they're "W990GL5" running shoes. I haven't run in them ;) outside of maybe 10-ft sprints to get out of the crosswalk at grocery stores, but I've walked quite a way over the course of a few sequential days, pain free.

I wish they came in more dressy styles with the same overall support, but the store was 90% sneakers, along with a few men's shoes that looked like sneakers disguised as dress shoes.
Thank you, Sandi - off to research these!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Was pleased to see Family Dollar fully stocked on cat food today, including canned. NOT pleased to find the price of a 12-pack of cans has gone from $5.50 to $6.49. I bought 1 pack and politely instructed DD to add only HALF a can to the dry food for the cats - OR some warm chicken broth - but not both.

I did fairly well at the grocery, snagging some markdowns and coupon items, paid a total of $23.04 for bread, sandwich rolls, cabbage, potatoes, pasta, oat milk, flour, 2 bags of shredded cheese, 6 bags of .88 cent frozen vegetables (notably, they are 12 oz. and not 16 oz.). I have a meal plan of sorts in mind for next week and will do batch cooking tomorrow. It includes "cabbage bread", chili with corn bread, oven-roasted vegetables, homemade pizza and homemade lentil soup.

The price of flour was disheartening - $1.79 for 5 lb. of the store's own brand. There were not any torn bags today - they put tape over those and sell them for .60 cents - and I get them when they have them. The "discount section" was disappointing - boxes and boxes of turkey stuffing mix marked down to .77 cents - I can't use it because it contains turkey - and the rest was junk food that I wasn't interested in.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I just heard something on YouTube that I believe is so true - "Contentment is Not Complacency" I could not agree with this more. While being content with what one has, that doesn't mean that we aren't still working hard, saving, investing, working toward personal, professional, and financial goals. I believe that the contentment piece is a bonus and a blessing. I don't ever plan to become complacent.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I am starting to do my research for planning a stock-up of staples using free (earned) gift cards. The dried beans that I paid .99 cents a pound for this time in 2020 on Target.com are now $1.59. Walmart has better prices and I can get 1% cash back from both Inbox Dollars and Honey. So that's a factor. I may redeem my next reward for a Visa gift card, use that to purchase the Walmart gift card and earn more points and/or cash back. I'm not in a rush to figure this out - still going through the dried beans, etc. I got last time. Another thing I stock up on when I do this is the shelf stable almond milk - so I need to price check that yet. I doubt anyone will beat Dollar Tree prices on that, but you never know.

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 pm Was pleased to see Family Dollar fully stocked on cat food today, including canned. NOT pleased to find the price of a 12-pack of cans has gone from $5.50 to $6.49. I bought 1 pack and politely instructed DD to add only HALF a can to the dry food for the cats - OR some warm chicken broth - but not both.

I did fairly well at the grocery, snagging some markdowns and coupon items, paid a total of $23.04 for bread, sandwich rolls, cabbage, potatoes, pasta, oat milk, flour, 2 bags of shredded cheese, 6 bags of .88 cent frozen vegetables (notably, they are 12 oz. and not 16 oz.). I have a meal plan of sorts in mind for next week and will do batch cooking tomorrow. It includes "cabbage bread", chili with corn bread, oven-roasted vegetables, homemade pizza and homemade lentil soup.

The price of flour was disheartening - $1.79 for 5 lb. of the store's own brand. There were not any torn bags today - they put tape over those and sell them for .60 cents - and I get them when they have them. The "discount section" was disappointing - boxes and boxes of turkey stuffing mix marked down to .77 cents - I can't use it because it contains turkey - and the rest was junk food that I wasn't interested in.
I believe we are going to see more and more reduced package, jar and bottle sizes. That is a way for the food companies to make people think they aren’t raising prices. I’ve started checking weights and fluid ounces but haven’t been consistent and I’m going to try to remember to check regularly.

I give you credit for feeding the outdoor/cellar cats. I know the cost of feeding just my one picky cat was high. You are spending a lot, I know. Bless you.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:41 pm I believe we are going to see more and more reduced package, jar and bottle sizes. That is a way for the food companies to make people think they aren’t raising prices. I’ve started checking weights and fluid ounces but haven’t been consistent and I’m going to try to remember to check regularly.

I give you credit for feeding the outdoor/cellar cats. I know the cost of feeding just my one picky cat was high. You are spending a lot, I know. Bless you.
A while back maybe a year ago I was weighing things off and on. When a can states it is 15. whatever oz it might be 8 oz of product and the rest is water or juice. It is legal. I have not done it for a while but think I might start to weight it again just to see what they are selling us these days. Tuna is a joke with the size of their cans. You get about 3 oz of tuna the rest is oil or water depending on what you like your tuna to be canned with.
Janet Alliesmama