2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:34 am HappyDaze, I hope something wonderful comes out of your job search. (((HUGS))) Bev, it often takes threatening to stop being a customer to get the right kind of service. It's a sad commentary that those who are faithful and do the right things are not rewarded.

The other day we lower-level employees received an e-mail that our starting wage would be bumped up $2, in response to how expensive it is to live now. This is $2 less than employees had been agitating for, so it is a compromise. This is retroactive, so I do get a raise out of it. This is putting me closer to what I ought to be paid, considering my education and experience, so I'm happier with that. (I'd be super happy if we'd received what we'd been trying to get, but it took years to get the compromise increase.)

I'll never catch up for the lost years of taking care of my son when he was little and my mom when she was sick, but that's life.
Thank you, Mackie. I spoke with a trusted person today and she knows someone at one of the places I applied and is going to put in a good word for me. Fingers crossed.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:15 pm I have applied for a couple of jobs just to see what happens. One of them is working with our local village in the clerk's office, doing Human Resources and Payroll duties - very similar to what I do now. I don't know if they can hire me if they wanted to, as my son works for the village utility company and I'm not sure what their polices are on that - but we'll see if I even get an interview.

At the very least, I am hoping to gain some "clout" (not sure that's the word I'm looking for) with my current employer. There is a whole lot of back story that I'm not going to go into - let's just say that my current position and responsibilities are NOT being adequately compensated.

An internal person is moving to my office to replace my former coworker and I have been informed that they will NOT be reducing her pay - which is way more than our office normally pays - and considerably more than I currently make - and no mention has been made of increasing my pay.

It is not my intention to be a brat about this - it's a fact that it doesn't hurt to look at other options.
The job working for your village sounds good. And most local government jobs have good benefits. You have given so much at your current job, even foregoing vacation time, and it is so unfair that your salary doesn’t match your hard work. Good luck.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:49 am The job working for your village sounds good. And most local government jobs have good benefits. You have given so much at your current job, even foregoing vacation time, and it is so unfair that your salary doesn’t match your hard work. Good luck.
Thank you! I don't know what in heaven's name is going on, but I'm not the only one this is happening to - I had a coworker sobbing in my office about it the other day - different story but similar circumstances - other people being brought in (internally) at more money, not feeling respected or appreciated, etc.

My only hesitation about taking a different job, if the opportunity arises, is that there is no way I'm going to get the flexibility I have now = or the amount of sick leave and vacation time, etc. But - we will see.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I got an interview - but it's for a "lesser wanted" job at a bank. They're not paying a wage I can manage on if I'm going to continue aggressively paying off my car and saving. I'll go on the interview (Tuesday, 9 a.m.) just for the practice/experience and to see what they have to offer.

I'm hoping to hear back from some of the other opportunities I have applied for. In the meantime, I still like my work - so if I don't get to make a move it's okay - but I would still love to move into something that pays better, such as that local government job.

Our financial advisor is coming to my work site next week - I made an appointment for myself and have my list of questions ready.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:34 am HappyDaze, I hope something wonderful comes out of your job search. (((HUGS))) Bev, it often takes threatening to stop being a customer to get the right kind of service. It's a sad commentary that those who are faithful and do the right things are not rewarded.

The other day we lower-level employees received an e-mail that our starting wage would be bumped up $2, in response to how expensive it is to live now. This is $2 less than employees had been agitating for, so it is a compromise. This is retroactive, so I do get a raise out of it. This is putting me closer to what I ought to be paid, considering my education and experience, so I'm happier with that. (I'd be super happy if we'd received what we'd been trying to get, but it took years to get the compromise increase.)

I'll never catch up for the lost years of taking care of my son when he was little and my mom when she was sick, but that's life.

Mackie congrats on the raise. You did the right thing taking care of your son and your DM. I know it is hard moneywise, but they needed you and you were there for them.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze, you have the right attitude to look on it as interview practice. Banks traditionally do not pay well and, at least locally, they cut staff to the bone during Covid and never built back up.
Mackie