2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:32 pm Determined to not let the out of control food prices get the best of me, I am trying to simplify the menu a little more to eat healthy and save a bit. It is important to me to take pleasure in the food I eat, so still incorporating plenty of what I like.

I made a big batch of soup yesterday and froze in individual portions. I figure the whole batch cost me about $6.70 to make and I got 9 lunch size portions from that - so around .75 cents per serving.

The wraps I plan to make this week will cost about $4.00 total and I'll get 8 wraps - so .50 cents each.

I'm "estimating" cost here because I'm too lazy to do the actual math - but my estimates are close - and rounded up.

Snacks for this week are apples with sun butter (at work) and popcorn popped on the stove (at home). I have a lot of cheese left from our "pizza party" last weekend - I need to use some and freeze the rest. I have cabbage and kale to use too - I may add some kale to homemade mac&cheese and I love cabbage steaks done in the oven - so will make those.

Frozen bananas and strawberries need to be used - so will make smoothies this week and take one to work each morning - that should use up all of those. I will add some vegan protein powder.

I plan to bake a big tray of potatoes and have those for supper, topped with vegan chili that will use up some TVP. I could add some kale to that as well.

I am trying to cut back on carbs - but I already see wraps and potatoes and possibly past here. Perhaps a kale salad with dried cranberries and sunflower seeds instead of putting it in mac& cheese. We shall see!
I am the same way. Usually just estimate the costs and I am probably a bit on the high side when I do so.

You, however, manage to get your costs very much lower than mine.

I will be making those Falafels on Friday this week. I will be sure to let you know how they turn out.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackie, I am sure your costs are probably higher than mine.

I found a recipe for oat milk today and am going to try my hand at that - about .70 cents a gallon versus almost $5.00 - and they say you can freeze the pulp to use later in muffins or cookies or pancakes.

If I like the results, I'm going to invest in a nut milk bag from Amazon - but for the first go I'm using cheese cloth. I am cutting the recipe in half for the first try too. The homemade version only keeps up to 5 days in the frige and I don't want any going to waste.

Thank you for letting me know how the recipe turns out!! If it's a keeper I'll be so excited to make it instead of using a mix!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have placed a "free" (if you don't count hours and hours of time) Amazon order - a dozen cans of diced tomatoes, a pound of nutritional yeast, 4 lb. of TVP, a huge canister of powdered Gatorade and a bag of dog treats. I should be able to do another order soon - I want to get stocked up on pasta.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That's a wonderful haul, HappyDaze!

My favorite coffee shot up to $11.69 a can this week, so I read a couple of articles about best coffee rankings and then went to two clearance stores this weekend and bought five bags of coffee, mostly Starbucks and Gevalia.that were highly rated. That should last well into the winter as I drink only 9 cups per week.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:51 pm That's a wonderful haul, HappyDaze!

My favorite coffee shot up to $11.69 a can this week, so I read a couple of articles about best coffee rankings and then went to two clearance stores this weekend and bought five bags of coffee, mostly Starbucks and Gevalia.that were highly rated. That should last well into the winter as I drink only 9 cups per week.
That is a good coffee stock up, Mackie. I really need to cut back on how much I drink - I just do not need that second cup every day - and that third and fourth cup on days off. It's more a habit than a real want. I've heard a couple people say that coffee prices are going to continue to climb.

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I sure do enjoy that second cup on Saturdays and Sundays. It gets me revved up to do a lot of housework and chores.
Mackie