2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

The interview at the bank this past Thursday was okay - interviewers didn't give anything away in terms of whether or not they liked my answers to their questions. Then - come to find out - the position is rarely over 20 hours a week, although the employment ad said "part time to full time" (which can be interpreted multiple ways).

I spent money on a good vacuum cleaner yesterday and a good set of floor mats for my car - both money well spent in my opinion.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

It's good to test the waters out there. Something will turn up. (((HUGS)))

A good vacuum cleaner and floor mats are always a good investment. I finally bought factory mats a couple of years after buying my car when my foot slipped on the cheap, wet plastic ones one too many times. It rains constantly here in the winter and the plastic was so slippery.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

hmmmmm...Mackie, the new mats I bought are plastic. They are very textured but I will still have to be careful and watch for them being slippery - thanks for that heads up! I LOVE the new vacuum cleaner!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Truth time - some days contentment comes easier than others. Being at the lake yesterday was so nice but it gave me a bit of a "bug" to go more and do more. I will make a new list of free things I can do and places I can go "locally" that don't cost a lot.

In terms of "things", there is not much that I want so I feel blessed in that area. I do need to continue the hunt for work clothing but I do that slowly. Rather than go out and buy a bunch of new clothing, I pick up an item here and and item there as I find them. That works well for me.

I find that being grateful and thankful - literally listing my blessings and all the ways I am fortunate, helps to maintain contentment.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, yesterday I bit the bullet and had an appointment (virtual) with a person through my employer's EAP provider - re - work stress and how it is impacting me even when I'm NOT working. I'm not going to go so far as to say it wasn't helpful, but I know enough about this to know when I'm being given "canned responses" and I wasn't overly impressed. I'm going to give it another try next week.

"Therapist" (she's really a social worker - whaaaaat???) thinks I should ask for a pay increase. I don't agree - I know what the answer is going to be and I don't want to put myself in that position. But I'm keeping an open mind, not ruling it out.

Sill looking at other jobs - but - eliminating a lot of options due to commute - I am spoiled by living a mile from work. So will just keep informed about what options come up. I did apply for a couple - had one interview - was not selected.

At the end of the day, I don't want to leave my job, I want things to get better. Taking the bull by the horns and taking responsibility for what my part can be in making that happen.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Decisions, decisions...not my strong suit but I have made some. I'm still keeping myself informed as to what job options are "out there" - but not seriously looking for a different job unless something truly amazing presents itself. At the end of the day, I really do want to stay where I am - and since I've been honest with how hard I'm struggling, things are steadily getting better.

I had also been considering getting a second job again - I have taken that off the table - I just can't. I'm going to focus on my surveys as an "income stream" - those amazon rewards buy food and other necessities, freeing up funds of savings and other things.

The passing of my ex hit me like a ton of bricks. Apparently, according to google, the loss of an ex is its own unique type of grief and one should not feel strange for grieving. My work has been amazing - letting me come in and do what needs to be done and leave if I need to. My parents took the news hard - I felt bad telling them but wanted them to hear it from me. I am doing a lot better - it took me several days to get my head around it.

Decided to consolidate some budget/expense tracking categories to simplify. Combining groceries, house payment, utilities, all things home related into a "household" category rather than having them as individual categories. I'll see how that works - I can always switch back.

Charles M. Schultz