2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

October is usually a "windfall" month for me and this year is no exception and I am so thankful. I got my state property tax rebate check - almost $700. I will also get a payout from work for 5 vacation days that I won't use (new policy) and all of my unused sick time over 300 hours - and I have about 360 hours - so - yessssss, I'll take that, thank you.

Other than maybe a stock up of canned goods, pet food and household supplies, it will all go to savings.

I am considering opening a second checking account at my credit union because the checking pays 2% interest, while the savings pays less than 1% - way less. I NEED to not keep my "extra funds" in my main checking account - I just can't - so that would be a possible solution.

I will have to make sure I meet certain requirements with the account - 1 direct deposit per month, 1 cash withdrawal per month, etc. - I can make those things happen. I'll set up the account with my work to have just a little of my paycheck go into the second account, etc. I want that 2% interest!!

Going into winter, I'm mentally preparing for the higher utility bill and making sure DD knows I need her share on time, every month. Could I cover it? Yes. Will I cover it? NO. Even though she pays, seeing that number on the bill about sends me into a tizzy every time. They're running their heat already and that just makes my head spin.

I have been paying extra on my car payment every month and it's making the "amount due" for the next month less - but I keep paying the same amount - hoping to kick that bill to the curb in record time.

All in all, it has been a good year and "contentment" has proven to be a good "word of the year" for me. Time to start thinking about the word for 2023...hmmmmm...
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have discovered "Miss Marple" shows on youtube - highly recommend. I read a couple of the books a few years ago and enjoyed them as well. The shows are absolutely on my list for fall entertainment.

I was looking for something to watch that was mystery based or just a little "spooky" without being the terror or gore that seems to be everywhere - something that would not keep me awake. The Miss Marple shows are perfect - highly recommend.

Extra money wise, I have some books to send to sellbackyourbook.com and a few items to take to the clothing consignment shop. Little bits add up. Once again, I will be going through two huge bags of trash left by DD and company - I can tell they are heavily laden with returnable bottles and cans - that's money off my next grocery trip.

Found a bright shiny quarter while walking Hope yesterday. I put it in my change jar. My change jar never gets too full as I do dip into it if I need something or want something - like a new large print crossword book from Dollar Tree or if I will need change for parking or whatever.

Have gone back to coloring my hair myself. Last time I did it, about 4 weeks ago, I got several compliments and someone asked where I had it done.

I am very happy with my frugal contentment journey overall. It has been a blessed year.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:46 am October is usually a "windfall" month for me and this year is no exception and I am so thankful. I got my state property tax rebate check - almost $700. I will also get a payout from work for 5 vacation days that I won't use (new policy) and all of my unused sick time over 300 hours - and I have about 360 hours - so - yessssss, I'll take that, thank you.

Other than maybe a stock up of canned goods, pet food and household supplies, it will all go to savings.

I am considering opening a second checking account at my credit union because the checking pays 2% interest, while the savings pays less than 1% - way less. I NEED to not keep my "extra funds" in my main checking account - I just can't - so that would be a possible solution.

I will have to make sure I meet certain requirements with the account - 1 direct deposit per month, 1 cash withdrawal per month, etc. - I can make those things happen. I'll set up the account with my work to have just a little of my paycheck go into the second account, etc. I want that 2% interest!!

Going into winter, I'm mentally preparing for the higher utility bill and making sure DD knows I need her share on time, every month. Could I cover it? Yes. Will I cover it? NO. Even though she pays, seeing that number on the bill about sends me into a tizzy every time. They're running their heat already and that just makes my head spin.

I have been paying extra on my car payment every month and it's making the "amount due" for the next month less - but I keep paying the same amount - hoping to kick that bill to the curb in record time.

All in all, it has been a good year and "contentment" has proven to be a good "word of the year" for me. Time to start thinking about the word for 2023...hmmmmm...
If the checking account doesn’t work out or gets too complicated, you might look into an online savings account if you feel comfortable with it. I use Capital One 360 Performance Savings and they are now paying 2.20%. There are others: Marcus, American Express and a popular one I can’t recall. I transfer money electronically between my regular local checking account and Capital One. The transfer takes a day or two and there is no cost if Capital One initiates the transfer. You are doing great!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:35 am I have discovered "Miss Marple" shows on youtube - highly recommend. I read a couple of the books a few years ago and enjoyed them as well. The shows are absolutely on my list for fall entertainment.

I was looking for something to watch that was mystery based or just a little "spooky" without being the terror or gore that seems to be everywhere - something that would not keep me awake. The Miss Marple shows are perfect - highly recommend.

Extra money wise, I have some books to send to sellbackyourbook.com and a few items to take to the clothing consignment shop. Little bits add up. Once again, I will be going through two huge bags of trash left by DD and company - I can tell they are heavily laden with returnable bottles and cans - that's money off my next grocery trip.

Found a bright shiny quarter while walking Hope yesterday. I put it in my change jar. My change jar never gets too full as I do dip into it if I need something or want something - like a new large print crossword book from Dollar Tree or if I will need change for parking or whatever.

Have gone back to coloring my hair myself. Last time I did it, about 4 weeks ago, I got several compliments and someone asked where I had it done.

I am very happy with my frugal contentment journey overall. It has been a blessed year.
Loved the Miss. Marple shows on my android box and those I couldn't get there on my BritBox subscription.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:03 am If the checking account doesn’t work out or gets too complicated, you might look into an online savings account if you feel comfortable with it. I use Capital One 360 Performance Savings and they are now paying 2.20%. There are others: Marcus, American Express and a popular one I can’t recall. I transfer money electronically between my regular local checking account and Capital One. The transfer takes a day or two and there is no cost if Capital One initiates the transfer. You are doing great!
Oh Floriidacat, thank you! Capital One it is!!! Much easier than opening a second checking account. ;)

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:40 pm Loved the Miss. Marple shows on my android box and those I couldn't get there on my BritBox subscription.
It was SO nice to discover them! Nice to watch something suspenseful and fitting for the season without it being vulgar and terrifying. I am hooked!

Charles M. Schultz