2022 Challenge Contentment

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2022 Challenge Contentment

Post by HappyDaze »

It has been a spendy day, but hey, I don't take vacations and all so if I want to spend some $$ on my staycation, I don't worry about it. I got some "new to me" tops at the thrift store, along with some picture frames and some spray paint and a new candle lighter at the hardware store.

Staying home for the rest of the day/night, I've been walking all over town all day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I agree with you 100%. I do not take vacations, have no desire to go on a cruise or sports events, etc. So I have no problem doing some fun type local spending if I get fun out of it. I am glad you are enjoying your staycation.

Bev
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:22 pm It has been a spendy day, but hey, I don't take vacations and all so if I want to spend some $$ on my staycation, I don't worry about it. I got some "new to me" tops at the thrift store, along with some picture frames and some spray paint and a new candle lighter at the hardware store.

Staying home for the rest of the day/night, I've been walking all over town all day.
Still you managed to find what you needed for I am sure are reasonable prices. And a staycation deserves a bit of spending.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

For the first time in quite a while, I can say I "did good" at the grocery stores today. Because of the monopoly game at my local grocery, I had won coupons for a free pasta sauce, free bag of frozen hash browns, 2 (1 litre size) bottles of sparkling water and an 8-pack of flavored sparkling water.

There was no "rescued produce" at the regular store and few amazing markdowns. I did find 8-packs of frozen bagels for $1.69 so got 2 of those. The tofu I like was on sale for $1.79 (regular price $3.79) so I got 6 of those and will freeze most of it.

I also took back a big bag of cans and bottles that DD and her SO put out for trash, so $2.20 saved there. All said and done, my total was originally over $84 and I paid $31.29, so happy about that. That includes 2 bottles of my vitamin D!!

On to Save A Lot - I was cashed out by a manager. He said to leave everything in my cart and he was scanning it that way. I was nervous that he wasn't doing it correctly. Then he accidentally voided the whole transaction - TWICE. He got two different totals each time - very frustrating.

Third time - I had purchased several cans of DIFFERENT tomato products - at DIFFERENT prices. He just counted them up and scanned ONE can - the cheapest one, and didn't even enter the NUMBER of cans. I tried so hard to tell him that it wasn't correct and he said "got to keep the line moving". Sorry, but if he doesn't care, I don't care. He was doing the same thing with the next customer in line, messing it all up.

I ended up with 7 cans of free tomato products. Do I feel kinda bad? Yes. Did I try to tell him? Yes, and he wouldn't listen. I feel bad for him if someone complains - he could get fired.

Off to scan receipts into Fetch Rewards.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have made my first car payment - oyyyyyy, I hate having a car payment! I couldn't double it this time without dipping into the "buffer" that I keep in my checking account, but should be able to next time.

My credit score has gone up, up, up - I almost cried when I saw the other day that it's 803! It was 812 when I bought this house and then took a serious dive after I kicked the ex out and had to pay off the mess I was left with - but I did it.

I'm hearing all sorts of terrible things about what may happen with gas and grocery prices over the summer. I'm not ignoring the information - but it's going to be what it's going to be and I refuse to panic. I'm just grateful to be out of consumer debt and that my needs and wants are extremely simple.

I do still have a small ($1,400-ish) student loan. I got notice yesterday that they have received my application for loan forgiveness and are reviewing it. Fingers crossed. On paper, I meet the qualifications - 120 consecutive payments and work for a non-profit - but I hear they find a lot of loopholes and deny most applications.

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:26 am I have made my first car payment - oyyyyyy, I hate having a car payment! I couldn't double it this time without dipping into the "buffer" that I keep in my checking account, but should be able to next time.

My credit score has gone up, up, up - I almost cried when I saw the other day that it's 803! It was 812 when I bought this house and then took a serious dive after I kicked the ex out and had to pay off the mess I was left with - but I did it.

I'm hearing all sorts of terrible things about what may happen with gas and grocery prices over the summer. I'm not ignoring the information - but it's going to be what it's going to be and I refuse to panic. I'm just grateful to be out of consumer debt and that my needs and wants are extremely simple.

I do still have a small ($1,400-ish) student loan. I got notice yesterday that they have received my application for loan forgiveness and are reviewing it. Fingers crossed. On paper, I meet the qualifications - 120 consecutive payments and work for a non-profit - but I hear they find a lot of loopholes and deny most applications.

I’ve read that one of the areas the Biden administration is trying to simplify and fix is the public service loan forgiveness program so I hope that your application will be approved. You’ve already paid for 10 years for goodness sakes! I paid off my small student loan over 10 years. Personally I’m against blanket student loan forgiveness for all people, but something should be done about the interest rates!

That is a good attitude about food and gas price increases. I feel the same, just trying to shop a little smarter. I am shopping more at Walmart for many things but also still shop at my smaller Publix that has far fewer shoppers - and to me less likelihood of getting Covid. I should look into Aldi Instacart since Kitty is so happy with it. I know that your town doesn’t have an Aldi. We do have Save A Lot but the one near me does not have good produce. Compared to many people, I don’t drive a lot. My 10-year-old car only has 38,000 miles on it.

Have a good week!