Challenge Support: Reading List

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Challenge Support: Reading List

Post by MackerelCat »

As we work through our year of challenges, I thought it would be nice to post any books on frugal living, decluttering, minimalism, zero waste, cutting consumerism or like topics that you find interesting and would like to share. (Note: I have edited this from the original post.)

Title: "The Day the World Stops Shopping: How Ending Consumerism Saves the Environment and Ourselves" by J.B. MacKinnon.

Synopsis: It's speculation grounded in real events, basing the scenario of what would happen if the world stopped shopping off what happened during the Great Recession and during the first shutdown during Covid. He backs it up with astounding facts about the cost to the earth of overproduction and shipping. It's a long book, but highly recommended.

Title: "The Paradox of Choice -- Why More is Less" by Barry Schwartz.

Synopsis: (From Wikipedia) Schwartz argues that eliminating consumer choices can greatly reduce anxiety for shoppers. The book analyses the behavior of different types of people (in particular, maximizers and satisficers) facing choices. This book demonstrates how the dramatic explosion in choice—from the mundane to the profound challenges of balancing career, family, and individual needs—has paradoxically become a problem instead of a solution and how our obsession with choice encourages us to seek that which makes us feel worse.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Re: Challenge Support: Reading List

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:20 pm As we work through our year of challenges, I thought it would be nice to post any books on frugal living, decluttering, minimalism, zero waste, cutting consumerism or like topics that you find interesting and would like to share.

I just finished reading "The Day the World Stops Shopping: How Ending Consumerism Saves the Environment and Ourselves" by J.B. MacKinnon. It's speculation grounded in real events, basing the scenario of what would happen if the world stopped shopping off what happened during the Great Recession and during the first shutdown during Covid. He backs it up with astounding facts about the cost to the earth of overproduction and shipping. It's a long book, but highly recommended.
I highly recommend The Paradox of Choice. I read it years ago and loved it. I'm looking for a used copy online - Amazon didn't have it for any prices I'm willing to pay - even with gift card codes.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

https://www.secondsale.com/p/the-paradox-of-choice-why-more-is-less/1917005

SecondSale has a paperback in good condition for $3.88. That's the best price I came across.

I read that ages ago and need to read it again.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:58 pm https://www.secondsale.com/p/the-paradox-of-choice-why-more-is-less/1917005

SecondSale has a paperback in good condition for $3.88. That's the best price I came across.

You are so kind to look into that for me, Mackie - thank you! I think it is a book I used to own and then sold - and I do regret it - it's worth holing onto and referencing again and again.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:58 pm https://www.secondsale.com/p/the-paradox-of-choice-why-more-is-less/1917005

Mackie, sending you a virtual hug. The Honey browser extension found me a discount and I paid a grand total of $2.58 including tax and shipping!!

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Hey, we make a good team hunting for book bargains. Glad to help.
Mackie