No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: No Food Waste

Post by HappyDaze »

I need to do A LOT better with this - seems like for a couple months now I have been having to toss little bits of this and that - NO MORE!

I rescued the last two apples and have an apple crisp in the oven. Have some carrot soup cooking. I bought a bag of shredded carrots to make something - and I can't even remember what I wanted to make with them!!! The soup is using up the whole bag of carrots, a whole yellow onion and half a bag of salad greens. Once the carrots are soft, I will put the whole thing in the blender and add some almond milk to give it a creamy texture.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

The above mentioned carrot soup turned out to be really good.

This morning I had about 2 tablespoons of almond milk left in my bowl after I ate my cereal. I dumped the milk into my coffee - it wasn't bad.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I actually made too much food for the week. I have DD and her SO each a bowl of soup and put 2 servings for myself into the freezer and had a big bowl for supper.

I still have 2 servings of beans and rice with carrots in the frige for my next two days lunches and a small bag of salad greens that I need to eat. I will bump up the nutrition in that by adding some dried cranberries and sunflower seeds.

I have been having the free bananas with my cereal in the mornings. I don't love bananas but they taste better when they're free!

I had a little bit of "specialty coffee mix" that I got for my birthday back in October left - not enough to make a cup. I dumped it in with the hot cocoa mix that I got for Christmas.

I am trying to go through my stash of tea - I really have way too much with what I got for Christmas. I don't want to give that away but I have two unopened boxes that I might take to work to put up for grabs.

My coffee is running a little low so I may dump what is left of my decaf coffee in with it - I've done that before and it's fine. I really don't drink the decaf as much as I thought I would - I used to have one in the evening now and then but not so much anymore. This way it gets used and I extend my supply of coffee.

I got two loaves of bread at the store last weekend on an Ibotta bonus deal - one of those went into the freezer, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag (maybe the last plastic grocery bag in all of New York!) and then a paper grocery bag (free at Dollar Tree).

That's about it for now. I find that, for me, wasting less food is really about slowing down and being more mindful and making a point to use up things from the stockpile at least a few times a week.

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Half a package of celery was left from the making of homemade chicken soup for the sick family members. None of us like raw celery. So I turned all the rest of it into a cream of celery/potato/onion soup. I used the leaves and all.

I don't like to brag on my own cooking, because when you're the only one eating it most of the time, how do you know??

But this is some good soup!!! I have had 2 meals from it and have enough for 3 more meals. I don't think it will freeze well because of the potatoes - but I don't mind eating the same thing on repeat. I had some tonight with a bagel & avocado.

I also put a little of the celery into homemade pasta sauce which also used up 2 onions that needed to be used. This also took 3 cans of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, and 1/3 can of tomato paste from the pantry (froze the rest of the paste in a plastic butter container with lid).

Some of the sauce will go into the freezer for a couple of meals in the future, some will be eaten this week.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:26 pm Half a package of celery was left from the making of homemade chicken soup for the sick family members. None of us like raw celery. So I turned all the rest of it into a cream of celery/potato/onion soup. I used the leaves and all.

I don't like to brag on my own cooking, because when you're the only one eating it most of the time, how do you know??

But this is some good soup!!! I have had 2 meals from it and have enough for 3 more meals. I don't think it will freeze well because of the potatoes - but I don't mind eating the same thing on repeat. I had some tonight with a bagel & avocado.

I also put a little of the celery into homemade pasta sauce which also used up 2 onions that needed to be used. This also took 3 cans of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, and 1/3 can of tomato paste from the pantry (froze the rest of the paste in a plastic butter container with lid).

Some of the sauce will go into the freezer for a couple of meals in the future, some will be eaten this week.
Celery is awesome in pasta sauce.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

DD is using the free Pumpkin Munchkin coffee creamer - but not fast enough - the "best by" date is February 2. I emptied about a cup of it in to a freezer jar and labeled it with today's date.

Today I will eat some salad greens that need to be used. I will make homemade dressing for the salad. I pulled a container of baked beans and a package of tortillas from the freezer - so "tacos" of sorts for me this weekend.

I just had the last of my leftover pasta with homemade sauce for "brunch". Last night I baked my leftover biscuit dough that has been in the refrigerator for a few days, sprinkled on some cinnamon sugar and it was a great snack.

I am doing better with not wasting food. Last year was kinda bad - I would make too much of something thinking I would eat it - when it should have gone into the freezer - and I would end up throwing it away. NO more!

Charles M. Schultz