No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: No Food Waste

Post by MackerelCat »

Ketchup and mustard actually freeze just fine. All you'd need is some really small containers, something single-person size and leave some headspace for expansion as it freezes. Then let it thaw in the fridge.

Rubbermaid makes some half-cup containers with Easy Find lids that are really nice for taking things like salad dressing and peanut butter to work. They would probably work for that too.
Mackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Quiche that used up the leftovers:

There were two cups of cooked whole grain spaghetti leftover from the spaghetti dinner I made Sunday. (All the sauce was used up.) Yesterday afternoon I greased a deep-dish pie plate, then beat together two large eggs and a cup of almond milk, and added that to a big bowl along with half a baggie of grated smoked gouda cheese, two cups of frozen spinach, a cup of diced frozen red bell pepper, a half cup of frozen green peas, a quarter cup of frozen diced celery, some onion, herbs, salt and pepper.

Stirred everything together really well and poured it into the dish. Topped it with the rest of the grated cheese and baked it at 375 degrees F. for 35 minutes, until it was set in the middle and the edges were toasty brown. It is delicious! The pasta migrated to the edges like a crust.

It's hard to say how much cheese was in the baggie, probably just a bit more than a cup. Gouda is a somewhat soft cheese and I had grated and frozen it back in July, so it was soft and fluffy still. DH had bought it to eat plain, but did not care for the taste, so I saved it by grating and freezing it. The same happened for the bell pepper and celery, which were excess fresh produce processed for the freezer to prevent waste.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Froze two containers of mushroom meatballs. One to use on Saturday and the other will be warmed up and eaten later.

I have some bread crusts that I am planning to dry and make some bread crumbs.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I used up half a red pepper that I purchased on clearance last week. It has seen better days but was still perfectly fine. I diced it very small and added it to a fried potato - delicious.

I also thinly sliced two banana peppers purchased on clearance and added them to the juice from a jar of pickled banana peppers I had purchased. Will use them to season rice or whatever I decide to make this coming week.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Today I used up an onion, a number of carrots, and a loaf of bread.

Hopefully I will use up more over the next week.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Tonight I rinsed out an "empty" pasta sauce jar using some veggie broth and poured the whole thing into my tomato soup - delicious - and increased the amount of soup by about 3/4 a cup.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz