No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

No Food Waste

Post by HappyDaze »

How would you use up a jar of sugar free blackberry jam? I bought the sugar free accidentally and I don't like the taste of it at all for sandwiches, toast, waffles, etc. I suppose I could incorporate some of it into muffins - but looking for other ideas.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Re: No Food Waste

Post by MackerelCat »

You could try using it like the Russians do jam: stir a spoonful into a cup of hot tea to sweeten it. I would not risk wasting the ingredients of a batch of muffins on something you haven't liked on other bready/carby products.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

If you try Mackie’s idea and still don’t like the jam, I don’t think you should force yourself to use it and I don’t think you should consider it food waste. It’s not like you had jar you liked and it got pushed to the back and got moldy.

How about asking your DD and her SO if they want it? Or maybe ask your parents if you will see them soon. Or, if there is a co-worker you feel comfortable asking, maybe give it to that person.

More and more I’m thinking I’m not frugal!
Last edited by floridacatlover on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Can you add sugar to it and sweeten to taste? A spoonful at a time?

Bev
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

If it doesn't work in the cup of tea and there are no weight-watchers in the family or at work who would welcome it, then don't feel bad about having to throw it out. Mistakes happen.

Just make sure no animals can get into it if you have to toss it. Artificial sweeteners are deadly to dogs and cats.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Beverley wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:19 pm Can you add sugar to it and sweeten to taste? A spoonful at a time?

Bev
That is a great idea, Bev - going to give it a go.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz