No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: No Food Waste

Post by MackerelCat »

This week I think there's a half a tomato that got past me, but nothing else. DH did not eat the leftovers of the rice I made to go with the fajita-style beef, so I divided it up into four lunch containers and popped those in the freezer. I'll add some salmon patties and veggies to the containers this weekend.

There are some peaches that need to be sliced and frozen. I may make a peach-cherry-strawberry crisp for July 4th to use up all the bits of saved fruit in the freezer.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:25 am I have half a head of green cabbage that needs to get used this week - I will make something with it tonight after work. Any favorite cabbage recipes anyone would like to share?
I have made a dish in the past with shredded cabbage, cottage cheese and egg noodles. I loved it. I thought I invented it but years later found the recipe in a Polish cookbook.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:42 am I have made a dish in the past with shredded cabbage, cottage cheese and egg noodles. I loved it. I thought I invented it but years later found the recipe in a Polish cookbook.
Janet, that sounds amazing - I'm going to google it. I ended up making an old stand by - fried cabbage with caramelized onions and thinly sliced apples. The original recipe calls for bacon - I just leave it out.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:21 pm Janet, that sounds amazing - I'm going to google it. I ended up making an old stand by - fried cabbage with caramelized onions and thinly sliced apples. The original recipe calls for bacon - I just leave it out.
I like your recipe as well. Apples, cabbage and onions are always a good combination. Never thought of caramelizing the onions. That will make it so much yummier.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

In organizing the fridge freezer, I found the four individual servings of pulled pork that were frozen a couple of weeks ago. Popped those in the lunch containers with the leftover rice and added some frozen veggies to each one.

The four peaches I salvaged Friday went into some baked oatmeal, along with some frozen cherries. It came out delicious. That will be breakfast this week.
Mackie
elsi

Post by elsi »

Yesterday was a "Clean out the refrigerator day" -- CORD -- menu. I had about 1/2 a bag of fresh spinach that was looking a bit worse for the wear and 6 Roma tomatoes that were on the verge of spoiling. So I trimmed the bruised spots off the tomatoes & chopped them. Made a pot of steel-cut oats and stirred in about 1/3 of the spinach and a hefty scoop of tomatoes. (I prefer savory oats to sweet ones.)

After that excellent breakfast, the spinach & tomatoes reappeared at lunchtime in an avocado sandwich. There was one lone avocado about 3 weeks old that I wasn't sure whether it would be good or not -- but it was perfect. So I mashed it onto the last hamburger bun and topped it with the spinach & tomatoes. Yummy! (OK, it was la bit squishy and I wound up with some drips on the plate, but it tasted wonderful.)

I took a break from spinach & tomatoes at supper time. We had hot dogs using up the last of the wieners. Hubby finished off the Fritos and I did the same with the Cheetos. I sliced up some apples and called it done.
Last edited by elsi on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsi in Texas