No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: No Food Waste

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I used up a cup of orange juice from the freezer (I freeze it in 1 cup portions when I buy it because I will never use a whole carton before it goes bad) and 2 over-ripe bananas making muffins. The muffins will be frozen for future "grab and go" breakfasts.

I have 5 more bananas to use. One will go in my yogurt parfait for breakfast tomorrow, 2 will go into pancakes for the freezer, 2 will be frozen for smoothies. I don't know if I will get any more bananas - even if they are free - I dislike them that much.

My doctor is always pushing the bananas but I'm going to research what other foods have potassium (I know potatoes) and ask my him if I need a supplement because I can't with the bananas anymore.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:02 pm Today I used up a cup of orange juice from the freezer (I freeze it in 1 cup portions when I buy it because I will never use a whole carton before it goes bad) and 2 over-ripe bananas making muffins. The muffins will be frozen for future "grab and go" breakfasts.

I have 5 more bananas to use. One will go in my yogurt parfait for breakfast tomorrow, 2 will go into pancakes for the freezer, 2 will be frozen for smoothies. I don't know if I will get any more bananas - even if they are free - I dislike them that much.

My doctor is always pushing the bananas but I'm going to research what other foods have potassium (I know potatoes) and ask my him if I need a supplement because I can't with the bananas anymore.
DD doesn't like bananas, when she feels like she needs more potassium (if she gets a muscle cramp, she blames that on low potassium though I have no idea how she could be 'low,' as many beans and lentils as she eats) she eats a couple of kiwis; each one has as much potassium as a banana. IMO they taste much better anyhow :lol:

I'm allergic to bananas and kiwis usually represent too much sugar for me, so I supplement.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:17 pm DD doesn't like bananas, when she feels like she needs more potassium (if she gets a muscle cramp, she blames that on low potassium though I have no idea how she could be 'low,' as many beans and lentils as she eats) she eats a couple of kiwis; each one has as much potassium as a banana. IMO they taste much better anyhow :lol:

I'm allergic to bananas and kiwis usually represent too much sugar for me, so I supplement.
Sometimes according to Hubby's doctor it isn't a dose of potassium one needs, rather magnesium. Since Hubby has been taking a magnesium supplement he no longer has muscle cramps.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:17 pm DD doesn't like bananas, when she feels like she needs more potassium (if she gets a muscle cramp, she blames that on low potassium though I have no idea how she could be 'low,' as many beans and lentils as she eats) she eats a couple of kiwis; each one has as much potassium as a banana. IMO they taste much better anyhow :lol:

Thanks, Sandi, I didn't know that about Kiwi - and I had actually forgotten about them - there haven't been any kiwi in this house since my ex lived here with his two little boys.

I may check with my doctor about a supplement too - he swears the only supplement I need is Vitamin D - but then again, he thinks I'm eating bananas (gag).
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Beans, lentils, avocado, winter squashes all have potassium. the amounts in comparison I am not sure about.Most of those also have magnesium.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

And I would look past your doctor on this one. I take a double dose of good multi vitamin, D and Calcium and am considering a couple more.