No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: No Food Waste

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:27 am Great save!!!!
Thank you, Jackie, it's a relief -- I just can't eat them straight up - they are hard and tasteless. I won't be buying them ever again. The canned peaches from Save A Lot are good - the pears...YUCK - and I will eat just about anything.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I used up less than a serving of frozen green beans and frozen broccoli, chopping them up and mixing them into my veggie burgers. Also used up the last bit of cabbage in the veggie burgers - and the last of the onions in both the veggie burgers and the chili. Used the last of a jar of pasta sauce and the last can of rotel style tomatoes in the chili. The entire last pound of pinto beans went into both the chili and veggie burgers.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Some types of pears have to be cooked a lot more to be good. We used to get pears from my uncle's tree that would break your teeth if you tried to eat them fresh, but they made wonderful pear preserves with a very long cooking time. They were very hard to peel, though.

That tree was so old it had to date back to the Civil War, and it was huge. I've never seen another like it.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:39 pm The pear muffins far exceeded my expectations - they are amazing!! I got 12 huge muffins out of the recipe and they honestly taste like they came from a bake shop - probably better. So - a save for the 5 remaining cans of pears.
If you're looking for something else, a while back, Mackie posted a recipe for pear ginger cobbler. It's a favorite at my house.

https://www.myfrugalhome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3518&p=19970&hilit=pear+cobbler#p19970
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LWolfT wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:43 pm If you're looking for something else, a while back, Mackie posted a recipe for pear ginger cobbler. It's a favorite at my house.

https://www.myfrugalhome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3518&p=19970&hilit=pear+cobbler#p19970
Thank you - it is a must try, it sounds wonderful!

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I used up the leftover mashed potatoes by frying them up. Hubby really likes this and I try to do it every so often.

Still loads of leftovers in the fridge and I hope to make a dent in them today.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/