No Food Waste

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: No Food Waste

Post by MackerelCat »

Elsi, I love to chop up cherry tomatoes and fresh onion to put on burgers or a sandwich. It makes a kind of tomato-onion relish. It's much less messy than slices and takes care of the last few cherry tomatoes and that odd little bit of onion I always seem to have in the fridge.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:15 am Elsi, I love to chop up cherry tomatoes and fresh onion to put on burgers or a sandwich. It makes a kind of tomato-onion relish. It's much less messy than slices and takes care of the last few cherry tomatoes and that odd little bit of onion I always seem to have in the fridge.
Mackie, That sound really good. Thanks for the tip.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

elsi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:17 pm Yesterday was a "Clean out the refrigerator day" -- CORD -- menu. I had about 1/2 a bag of fresh spinach that was looking a bit worse for the wear and 6 Roma tomatoes that were on the verge of spoiling. So I trimmed the bruised spots off the tomatoes & chopped them. Made a pot of steel-cut oats and stirred in about 1/3 of the spinach and a hefty scoop of tomatoes. (I prefer savory oats to sweet ones.)

After that excellent breakfast, the spinach & tomatoes reappeared at lunchtime in an avocado sandwich. There was one lone avocado about 3 weeks old that I wasn't sure whether it would be good of not -- but it was perfect. So I mashed it onto the last hamburger bun and topped it with the spinach & tomatoes. Yummy! (OK, it was la bit squishy and I wound up with some drips on the plate, but it tasted wonderful.)

I took a break from spinach & tomatoes at supper time. We had hot dogs using up the last of the wieners. Hubby finished off the Fritos and I did the same with the Cheetos. I sliced up some apples and called it done.
elsi great save on the spinach and tomatoes. Never thought of savory oatmeal before. That gives me a new adventure to look into.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

As costs of food rise I am more and more dreading tossing anything at all. So far this month I haven't tossed much at all, veggies are going into a freezer container to be used to make soup (or additions), leftovers are fashioned into another meal or even three and anything left after that is frozen to be used later.

I am so glad that we have a garden. Not producing much yet, but we have gotten lettuce, rhubarb, a cucumber and green onions.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

The not wasting anything is going well. If something isn't finished or we don't wish to finish it in a couple of days I have been freezing them.

The garden came on by leaps and bounds while we were gone so I am busy figuring out/finding new recipes and freezing the bounty.

While fuel prices have dropped I don't see a corresponding drop in the cost of food, or home heating, or electrical. Pretty sure things will be rough for some people over the winter.

This makes it even more important that money is saved where we can in order to help our sons if they need it. Not so worried about the eldest as he has paid off his vehicle and has a pretty well paying job at this point in time and probably would not be let go. Youngest on the other hand is still paying off his vehicle, and perhaps is not as well situated in his employment at this time. Working for a city, while a pretty decent job does not always pay well or give you job security.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I just returned from a friend's/neighbor's house with three full bags of food she did not want. She periodically cleans out her fridge and freezers when she runs out of space and gives me her excess. I am always happy to get everything and we use it. However this time we will be eating this frozen food slowly since it is high in calories. I have gained 5 pounds over the past two months so I need to lose that and then some.

Everything is put away. It's too hot to cook and I am not really hungry. I will fix something for DS when he gets home if he is hungry. Tonight will be another Trekkie night since its too hot to do anything else.

Bev