My Six Month Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: My Six Month Challenge

Post by floridacatlover »

Bev, I don’t really understand your virtual envelope system but it’s helpful to you and that’s what is important. No one would understand my convoluted system of saving at the top of my checkbook in certain categories.

If you like the envelope system, I wonder if you’ve ever watched Til Debt Do Us Part, a Canadian show now on Amazon Prime and Tubi (free streaming service) according to Google. It is old, started in 2005. I used to watch it on Prime and it’s an inspiring show that uses the envelope system. FrugalMom (EllenMarie) used to really love the show and mentioned it often. I think I’ll watch some episodes today. So check it out and good luck!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Ideas:

Do you have any flowerpots? When I lived alone (before I lived with a gardener, LOL) I had radishes, leaf lettuce, and herbs in flowerpots on my back porch. Dill is great in soups and rosemary is great in focaccia, and a little fresh salad helps offset "cooked" food all the time.

I also did, in larger pots, potatoes and cherry tomatoes (cherry tomatoes and basil are great in salad). While we still do potatoes in pots now (that's hit or miss, it seems to depend on how much rain we get and the temp overall as to whether potatoes do well), DH only does tomatoes in planting beds.

Also, have you given any thought to augmenting your diet through food banks? Some fresh vegetation and maybe some cheese from time to time might help mix things up a little.

With your daughter's student loan: if she's not working, once the forbearance is over, can she get a deferral until she's back on her feet?
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Foridacatlover,

Yes! I have watched the whole series of "Til Debt Do Us Part" I loved it and have thought about watching it again. That show plus reading Dave Ramsey is what gave me the idea of the envelope method. It is not virtual, that coudl get confusing and muddle things up. I have actually set up an envelope system complete with envelopes and fake currency I have created. I used it to pay some bills this morning. Once I get the rest of my income I should be able to pay the rest and have a smidgen left over.

Bev
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Sandi,
I am in good shape this month as far as food items. Like so many others I was a little paranoid during the pandemic so stocked up on rice, beans, pasta and some canned items. I have included in my budget expenditures for my weekly produce delivery and Schwans.

I have found that using produce delivery prevents me from overbuying and having some go to waste.

So far it looks like I will do ok this month and even start paying the loan.

Bev
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Last night DS brought us Mexican food from a drive through that we just love but have not had in ages. The burritos and the nacho plate are huge. I had what would be considered the right portion size for me with lots left over; 1/4 of the burrito and aboiit 1/4 of the nacho plate. This morning I had 1/4 of the burrito. I will probably have another 1/4 of the nacho plate for lunch. For supper I will have a small portion of the lentl dish and wild rice I made yesterday.

Yesterday I finished the last serving of potato and leek soup. It was not real tasty so I added two servings of bacon bits and it tasted much better. I may go back to using boxed mshed potatoes next time for the soup since it seems to have flavor.

I need to limit my calorie intake to 1000 a day if I want to make any headway into my weight loss. So far I think I have lost about a pound and been able to keep it off. It has taken me a month to do this but I will take what I can get. I am not hopeful of a huge weight loss in the long term. It would mean eating almost nothing and I cannot do that with my diabetes. I will start tracking calories and 1200 will be my sustainable number. Once my weight loss is sustainable with this calorie number that will be it and hopefully will make improvements to my health. Any clothes that I still cannot get in to will go out the door. I do have a few I think I will be able to keep and wear.

Lesson learned-stay away from fad diets and Biggest Loser type programs. I did diets through my younger years and as a result have permanently screwed up my metabolism. It has also been found that years after Biggest Loser contestants lost such massive amounts of weight through diet and 8+ hours of excersizing every day they have also damaged their metabolism. This to the point that their metabolism rate is 500-800 calories less burned compared to those of the same age and size. DS did this type of weight loss a couple of years ago and lost 100 pounds. The pandemic put a stop to his going to the gym and he eventually gained all the weight back plus some. I told him do not even consider any type of weight loss program unless it is slow and sustainable. Now I think I finally have him on board to eating properly and eating healthier types of foods. Of course being 35 and male without doing a lifetime of diets he can still eat a little more than me and still lose.

Lesson learned....do not try any type of weight loss program unless you do it very slowly and the life style and eating are sustainable over the long term.

Bev
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I just came back from shopping at the neighborhood grocery store that DS works at. They are a little high end but mind you DS gets a 10% discount on everything and since he lives with me I get the discount too. Plus he gets employee specials on a few other items each month. He texts me the pages and I select what we need from there. Since the store is right by my house it does not really cost any gas to get there. So I figure I do as well as I would chasing deals all over town at other stores (unless I happen to be in the area)

Even with all the discounts and sale prices the trip cost me $73.00. Still a lot more expensive than in the past. I do have a starting balance of $85.00 in my PayPal account so now that will bring the balance down to $12.00. I better get cracking on those surveys.

For breakfast I had 1/4 of the very large burrito from last night and for lunch I had 1/4 of the nachos. I will be making a protein smoothie shortly. So now I have enough left from last night's dinner for about 2 or 3 more meals. I am still struggling to hang on to that 1 pound weight loss for the month. Since I made yesterday a cheat day it derailed my efforts for the day. So back on track today. For supper I need to fix the beef fajitas I have thawed out in my refrigerator. I may use some taco shells I bought from the mark down table a couple of weeks ago for that. (today there was NOTHING there except for some wine which I already have.)

I usually save between 40-45% due too the discounts. That includes the 3% cash back on my Visa for grocery purchases. Then zero gas usage on top of that.

I know all my posts sound rather mind boggling but once I get into this it really isn't. It just takes planning and budgeting. I'm so glad to have the time to make this all work.

Bev