My Six Month Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
MackerelCat

Re: My Six Month Challenge

Post by MackerelCat »

I have noticed that too, Bev. A box of bite-sized shredded wheat claims to have 9 1.3 cup servings, but when I measure it out, I get seven servings. The only way to get 9 is cut back to 1 cup servings.
Mackie
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Interesting. I guess while its required by law to disclose the correct serving size by ounces it must not be when it comes too cups, spoonfuls, etc. I quit buying cold cereal a long time ago because it hs so much sugar.

I have noticed lately that there are very few deals to found unless you dig deep. The deals used to jump out at you both from paper ads and internet ads. not so much now. Pickings are slim. Since I don't eat as much these days and with DS hopefully following suit my food larder is going farther.

I am going to take a cheat night tonight and buy takeout for DS and I from Panda Express. I have coupons and this little cheat will serve as a workaround for a situation later today. There is a neighborhood meeting down the road from me and a neighbor who I go out with sometimes. We have had fun at our outings (which I have kept to a minimum due to health issues and cost) but our relationship has run hot and cold over the years to the point that I have started to set boundaries and give a wide berth. She loves politics and I do not. Fortunately she has developed other friendships over time so that has helped. I would prefer not to be joined at the hip and not have the community see us that way so I am going to drive myself over there. Its close enough to where we both live that carpooling would serve no useful purpose. Plus at these events she tends to gravitate toward shmoozing with people I have no use for (and ignoring me). This will give me a good out plus a night off from meal prep since I work tomorrow. A mini-celebration (if early) of the end of the school year and hopefully weeks of summer vacay.

In spite of the lack of deals I did manage to buy us some good eats yesterday at the store. To confirm the lack of deals I looked at my receipt and saw my total savings (including cc points was only about 25% vs the 45% I usually enjoy.) But I will admit to buying a few non-sale items to fullfill some cravings :mrgreen: I did score on the meats as I usually do. Since my household is only 2 people I can get away with buying small one-two pound packages of meat items wth red $1.00 or $3.00 stickers. I bought two one pound of packages of store brand bacon at a net price of $4.00 and $5.00 )per pound price of $7.99). If nothing else these can be used as ingredients to whatever I am cooking.

I am going to have to make a Costco run soon. I am running low on toilet paper. I have almost $100 in cash rewards to be used along with a $25.00 gift card I got from work during the holidays.

Bev
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Take out once in a blue moon won't kill the budget. DH and I still get Mexican food occasionally, and it has the happy side effect of leaving leftovers for my lunch.

The shredded wheat I eat has nothing in it but wheat and wheat bran. I can't deal with sweet things first thing in the morning.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Wed May 18, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Thats what is so nice about take out as well as a meal out.....definitely two for the price of one.

I like shredded wheat although I have not eaten it in a while. It seems I am includig more protein type foods for breakfast since I started taking Glipizide. I do have to include some carbs or else I get a low sugar reaction and have to take a glucose tablet.

Between th powdered peanut butter I now have on hand and the Adams brand PB we have enough for lots of PB sandwiches. I am going to include more jellies with my next Thrive Market order and kep more bread around since DS is now eating more PBJ instead of meat items.

I am actually trying to do a slow stockup of non-perishable types of foods since I am hearing the blistering summer heat we get each year could generate power outages. I don't want to lose freezers full of food so we are slowly eating those down. Power outages of a few hours are not a problem but if we had days long outages (like my daughter has had) it could cost us. I want to start using freezer space fo storing non-perishables long term for a longer shelf life.

I don't know how all these desert communities keep the lights on during their summers. Their summers are longer and hotter than ours plus now they are starting to have wildfires in surrounding areas.

Bev
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Update:

I have only one more payment to make on the HVAC and it will be paid off.....interest free! This makes up for the fact I paid a premium price for everything and the fact rebate from utility companies are non-existent these days. The final payment will be next month and I will be set to start paying on DD's student lon payment when the forebearance expires in August. That loan will hopefully be paid off be year end and then I can return my focus to paying off the mortgage.

Bev
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

That is awesome Bev.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/