My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

Getting really good at using things up, and if they aren't being used up right away freezing them for later use.

Rhubarb will need picking very soon and I will probably make a couple of loaves (I will use the toaster oven), and if I can find on sale strawberries make the rhubarb/strawberry jam that Hubby loves.

Used up a couple of spools of thread when sewing last week, and am now busy using up the orphan yarn in my stash.

Decided it was time to continue using up the cleaners that I bought and barely used. Need to clean all those out so I can see what I have.

Still watching the free trial of Acorn, and hopefully will get that done (or at least what I want to watch) this week and cancel. I am enjoying Suspects right now.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Free trial of Acorn still happening. I should be finished all of what I want to watch by Sunday and be able to cancel.

Using up lots of leftovers, clearing out shelves in the fridge and the fridge freezer. Mostly warming things up or BBQing/using other appliances to cook as well.

I managed to use up lots of partial thread spools again since I last posted.

Rags are being used for cleaning more than paper for a change.

Eating a few more meatless meals or stretching out those meals that contain meat to serve at least twice, sometimes more.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Today I ordered a couple of items from Amazon. Organic beeswax pellets and organic shea butter. I have enough of both to make lots of salves and such now. Should last awhile for sure. Not really that expensive either and I checked that it was okay. I am trying to be more self sufficient in the way of personal care products and this will help.

Used 4 slices of homemade bread that was getting pretty crumby to make croutons this morning. Man they taste awesome.

We managed to keep the air conditioning off most of today and all of yesterday. We can probably open windows again tonight and really cool down the house.

I have sent out a request via Facebook for pot marigold flowers. If I don't get any this year I will purchase seeds next year to make even more salves and lotions.

Used up a small box of pasta shells making supper tonight. One more thing out of the pantry that I can't figure out why I purchased it.

Looking for elderflowers and found out many of the ones that grow here in Canada are poisonous... Must do more research.

I am finding I have more time and making use of it doing research on herbal medicines makes the best use of this time. Tomorrow I am going to strain my dandelion oil and find a jar to make oregano oil.

I am not going to ingest those oils, rather make salves, soaps and lotion bars. I am even thinking of making lip balms and facial creams.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

No shopping this week, I just got our scripts and allowances. I also added $70.00 to my savings envelope as well as $7.80 to the change jars. Pretty happy about that.

Clothes were all hung on the lines to dry and tomorrow all the rags will be out there to dry as well.

Meals have seen me using things up from the freezers, pantry and fridge.

I ordered some items from Amazon, but those items will help me save a bit of cash. I am using my extracted oils to make salves and perhaps lotions. I am also looking into making lip balms and other such items. The more I can make myself the more I will save in the long run.
Jackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:51 pm No shopping this week, I just got our scripts and allowances. I also added $70.00 to my savings envelope as well as $7.80 to the change jars. Pretty happy about that.

Clothes were all hung on the lines to dry and tomorrow all the rags will be out there to dry as well.

Meals have seen me using things up from the freezers, pantry and fridge.

I ordered some items from Amazon, but those items will help me save a bit of cash. I am using my extracted oils to make salves and perhaps lotions. I am also looking into making lip balms and other such items. The more I can make myself the more I will save in the long run.
I will be interested if you make lip balm. I have had dry lips my whole life. My very favorite lip balm (which I still have and use very sparingly if my lips really feel super dry) comes in a little pot and is more the consistency of soft jello/lotion, not solid. The company is out of business and I’ll miss it when it’s gone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:23 pm I will be interested if you make lip balm. I have had dry lips my whole life. My very favorite lip balm (which I still have and use very sparingly if my lips really feel super dry) comes in a little pot and is more the consistency of soft jello/lotion, not solid. The company is out of business and I’ll miss it when it’s gone.
I will let you know if I make it and how the lip balm works. There are lots of recipes out there.
Jackie