My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

The last few days have been no spend and no drive. Considering fuel for vehicles when up again, this saves me a bundle. Told Hubby I was thinking of buying a wagon and hauling groceries home in that, he said just borrow a cart and use it all the time. I know of a few people who do that.

Still on a use it up frenzy and actually loving every minute of it. One way I have decided to be a bit more frugal is not having a roast meal every Sunday. Sure it adds to leftovers to be used up, but I noticed I have other meat that needs using and switching things up does help with the grocery budget.

Watching Disney+ lately and since we share the subscription it is a considerable savings. Well at least until they stop allowing sharing.

So far nothing else new in the Tightwad Gazette, many of the things she said to do I started doing in the 70's when Hubby got laid off and continued doing after he got his job in the oil patch. I am only part way through and so I really hope to find some new tricks.

Looking at apartments in the city that we are considering moving to.... Man are they expensive. A 2 bedroom ranges in price from $1100.00 to $1600.00. That does not include utilities (except for water). It might be less expensive to purchase a small home. Forget senior residences they are upwards of $3000.00 a month for one person, additional costs for the second person. I refuse to live where the costs are lower in that city as that is where all the crime is. That area has at least one or two fires every night as well as murders and break-ins.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Holy smokes, Jackie, those are some expensive rents! Do you have a time frame for your move?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:39 pm Holy smokes, Jackie, those are some expensive rents! Do you have a time frame for your move?
We probably won't move for a few years yet. Which will more than likely mean prices will just continue to rise. It's kind of depressing really, but what can one do. I guess we could stay here, but the whole idea is to move closer to at least one of our sons.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Baked bread, hung clothes on the lines downstairs, went fir a walk, used up a few items from the fridge/pantry/freezer.

Also watched a few more episodes of Hill Street Blues, knit to use up more yarn.

Pretty much a regular day here on the old homestead.

I also did some research on a land cruise with added island tour of Greece. Quite the sale right now.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

We have moved some money around, and next week we will got to the travel agents and set up either the Greece tour or the Alaska cruise. Probably the Alaska cruise first.

I am still using things up and while I didn't completely use up the orphan skeins of yarn, I have plans on what to use the remainder for.

Reading The Tightwad Gazette and while many of the tips she gives I have been using for years, I have found a couple that would fit our lifestyle. Lots are not available in Canada, but I think with a few tweaks I can use a couple more.

I have watched the videos of the lady in Canada who is doing the 21 meals for $21.00. Very interesting. Again however she lives in a much bigger center than me and has many more stores that she can shop at. Perhaps when we move I can give this a try, though from what I gather most of the meals are made just for her (she will share them with her Hubby once in awhile) and she usually makes something different for her husband.

I hung up the sheets today in the basement, they should be dry tomorrow.

Went for a couple of walks, checked out prices on bird food, purchased seed potatoes, onion sets, and a few seeds for the garden.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Drapes open to take advantage of the sunshine and solar heat.

Leftovers still be used in other meals. Today I finished off the salad, tomorrow I will finish off the soup for my lunch along with a lovely slice of homemade bread.

Tomorrow I plan on making my menu for next month and try to clear out the fridge freezer once again. All those lovely bits and bobs make wonderful new meals.

After paying for our last haircuts I am determined to get in a bit more often. The longer our hair grows the higher the cost. Paying almost $85.00 for two cuts is not very frugal. We don't have any of the franchise hair places here, and no "learning centers", and all the salons more or less charge the same amount. While I could probably cut Hubby's hair, mine is beyond my capabilities unless I shave it all off.
Jackie