My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

It was another no spend day here on the old homestead as well as a day of using things up.

I am a bit disappointed in myself as I had to toss some lettuce. It had spoiled in the crisper. I hate doing that.

I thought I had pulled some chicken out of the freezer and it turned out to be another roast meal leftover. Pork. I plan on making a stroganoff with it, something I have never done before. Sure hope it is tasty.

Most lights are off in the house, but with the snow and overcast sky it is pretty dark in here. I think I will be turning the lights on early today. I can't stand the dark and dreary afternoons or evenings.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

A bit of spending today, but I really needed those chickens and as they were on sale I went and grabbed them. They are now packaged up and put in the meat freezer downstairs.

Pulled the turkey stock from the fridge freezer to use it up (I have a couple more in the bigger chest freezer) and have added some frozen mixed veggies.

Hubby started my fruit wine for the summer. Then he will make the Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine (which is what we can call Port... Port can only come from Portugal). It works out to be about $3.00 a bottle. As Hubby says "Cheap like Borscht).
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Yesterday was a stay at home, no spend day in my books. I worked on various small projects and got those completed. Today is another stay at home cause it is just too cold to be out and about day so I will continue to get those smaller projects done. I like crossing them off my list.

I will also get the final extra cleaning chore done.

Both yesterday and today will also be shop at home days. Meals are being made with what I have on hand in fridge, freezer or pantry.

Making a loaf of bread this morning, and then later this afternoon I will make the pizza dough using the bread machine. The pizza will use up bits and bobs from the fridge freezer as well as some sweet Italian sausage that needs using from the freezer downstairs. I have two hamburger patties that I may break up and cook with the sausage (we actually need three patties for a meal), just to get them out of the fridge freezer.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Paid bills online yesterday, thus saving stamps, gas and time. I am thinking that once the vehicle is paid off at the end of June, adding more to our savings account by putting my OAS in. We don't really need that cash to live on so it makes sense.

No spend day today, no bills, no groceries.

Using the air fryer to make supper tonight along with the top of the stove. I am still considering a plug in burner....Just need to figure out where I could store it.

Leftovers are being used up. The fridge freezer is getting cleared out nicely. I will remember to label items once I start refilling and also to use the bits and bobs up in a timely manner.

Pulled the fabric I bought at the church sale to make some spring and summer clothing. I also pulled some leftover fabrics for the same purpose. If all works out I will get some new items to wear for a fraction of the cost. In most cases much less than buying second hand.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

No spending today, and I even got a bit of a walk in at one point.

Slowly but surely things are being used up in the fridge freezer. There is still enough to last for most of the upcoming week, especially if I make casseroles and stir fry meals. Those usually feed us twice.

It has been fairly warm today so the drapes have been opened to let in heat and light.

I did do a tiny bit of work on my sewing, but more on my knitting. I have managed to use up one small ball of black yarn, and part of a second. I am doing the top in a contrast and have used up two small balls on that and just added a bigger skein. I am hoping to rid myself of quite a bit with this sweater. I hope to get another sweater or two done at some point as well.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So shopping today was a major surprise. Everything has gone up, even sale prices. Add in the gas for the vehicle has gone up $0.10 a liter (about $0.40 an American gallon, and $0.50 an Imperial gallon) I am wondering how people are going to make it. Next week I will purchase a few things for the Foodbank.

Hubby is now making another type of bird feeder, this one for Orioles. Can you tell he likes having birds around.

I used up some bath and shower gel and took out the next container.

Hubby used up a bar of Irish Spring earlier in the week.

I added some water to my shampoo to stretch it out a bit.

I have also added to those items I want a years supply of since they were on sale. Pretty sure I have a years supply of dishwasher soap now as well as stove top cleaner, SOS pads, garbage bags, Windex, Spray Nine, and Fantastic. Still need to figure out a few others but I have dated the open containers and will know how many I need to purchase on sale.

Mending is still happening, and I should be able to get a few very inexpensive clothing items cut out this week and made next month.
Jackie