My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

Stuck to my list at Walmart, but still got a surprise at the checkout. Man, I hate the price raises with a passion. One can only hope they start to fall sometime.

Much of what I purchased will not need to be purchased again for a bit of time, so that will help.

Today I went for a bit of a walk, but I think that tomorrow unless the weather is really good I am just going to stay home and work on my projects to use up portions of my stash.

No spending today, no driving. I should be able to go quite awhile without having to purchase fuel.... Prices have skyrocketed here as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I really hate it when they raise prices on stuff that's been sitting unsold on the shelf. DH and I have somewhat off-beat tastes and shop at a smaller grocery store. I know they aren't selling a couple of items to anyone but us, and yet the price goes up every week on the same case of stuff sitting on the shelf.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So perhaps the best deal I got this week was the Zest soap at $0.68 a bar. If I see more the next time I go I will purchase another package. Considering how prices keep rising I may be out of luck.

I also managed to buy some pens (actually running a bit low on these) for $0.10 a piece. Picked up 10 for now.

Took a quick look through the Christmas sales but there was nothing I really needed or wanted.

I am still using things up or using what I have. Tomorrow I have soup for lunch, and hopefully Hubby finished the beef concoction. I only made a smallish batch of what could pass for a type of goulash.

I am trying to figure out what I can use instead of batting if I decide to do another quilt or use up some of the squares and strips to make a runner for on top of the table, fake fireplace, or the coffee table. I do have an old blanket and may use that. I will probably check out the Salvation Army to see if they have some inexpensive blankets or perhaps some batting I could purchase.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I pieced the batting together and still have a bit left. I am thinking of making a couple of fall runners with the strips and such that are left from this quilt making. That could be a project for a bit later as I am trying to catch up on all those I started and did not finish.

I had to toss some sausage yesterday as it was badly freezer burned. I think I will need to put things through my Food Saver more often, even if it means wrapping them first. I already do that with a few items so I will just add a few more.

I am also looking up patterns on line for using up a ball or two of yarn. I don't crochet so most things are scarves, mitts, hats or socks so far. I may have to combine colours to get enough to do something other than those. I think I just may have enough Bits and Bobs Knitted blankets to last awhile now.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So for a bit today I sat and figured out what I could reasonably buy and store for at least a year. This is what I came up with.

Bath soap
Liquid soap if I purchase the big bottles and fill my other squirt containers.
Dish soap following the same as above.
Wax paper/tin foil, parchment paper, we don't use much so this would be pretty easy to do.
Dishwasher soap tablets.
My bath and shower gel.
Garbage bags.
Hand and Body lotion once all my backlog is used up. Pretty sure three or four large bottles would do just fine.
Shampoo for both Hubby and I.

I could not store enough toilet paper, Kleenex, or paper towel as there is not enough room in the cupboards or in the basement. Perhaps once I used up enough of my yarn stash that are in totes on shelves downstairs, but for now no.

Clothing wise well I need to think on that, but I also think that is more than doable and will consider doing so next year for certain items like bras, socks (ones I don't knit), underwear, and tights.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

This will be a use it up week on crispers and the fridge freezer. I will be trying to work my way through various bags of leftover meats along with meats that have been in the upright freezer for a length of time. I will be making a few changes so I use those up. Got a bit concerned that things weren't being rotated quickly enough when I found that package of sausage with bad freezer burn. I hate throwing good money away. Changing the menu next week should help with that a bit.
Jackie