My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by HappyDaze »

Beverley wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:03 pm Happydaze,

Do you have an air fryer? You can do just about anything in it as you can a regular oven but a lot cheaper. When we have hot weather the oven stays off and the air fryer is used for all of my baking and roasting.

Bev
Bev, I don't have an air fryer. I have always been "anti-small appliances" (except the 2 slow cookers, coffee maker, Kitchen Aid mixer) but if I did have one I would probably consider an air fryer.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I did manage to get quite a few things today at very good prices for here in Canada. The butcher in my grocery showed me some very inexpensive pork ribs. I picked up about 5lbs and probably saved close to $10.00 on the deal. I would never have thought of looking where he took me.

The laundry tabs I wanted to purchase were sold out, so I will keep my eyes open for another deal.

Managed to get another 16 bars of soap for the same price as two weeks ago. I really do have enough to last us the year. Picked up SOS soap pads for a year, and some Swifter Dusters, though the regular cost of those is kind of off putting. I may make some.

My grocery is getting rid of there plastic produce bags next month, and the three I got free will not be enough for a regular shopping trip. I still have the netting/lace I purchased at a garage sale so I will need to make a few.

Darned a sock today, and even though winter clothing was marked down 50-75% off didn't even look. Took a great deal of effort and averting of eyes, but I walked right on by.

Lights are being turned off in rooms not in use, lots of laundry hung on the lines downstairs. I wish I had a couple of drying racks so I could hang more. But one does what one can.

Used up the bag of carrots in the crisper, and the remaining potatoes that we grew. I have some celery that I need to re-crisp and will do that tomorrow morning. I also need to bring up some of our onions from the cold room tomorrow as well.

Still lots to use up but things are slowly coming under control. I just need to keep on top of things so nothing is wasted or added to stashes that need using.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 pm I did manage to get quite a few things today at very good prices for here in Canada. The butcher in my grocery showed me some very inexpensive pork ribs. I picked up about 5lbs and probably saved close to $10.00 on the deal. I would never have thought of looking where he took me.

The laundry tabs I wanted to purchase were sold out, so I will keep my eyes open for another deal.

Managed to get another 16 bars of soap for the same price as two weeks ago. I really do have enough to last us the year. Picked up SOS soap pads for a year, and some Swifter Dusters, though the regular cost of those is kind of off putting. I may make some.

My grocery is getting rid of there plastic produce bags next month, and the three I got free will not be enough for a regular shopping trip. I still have the netting/lace I purchased at a garage sale so I will need to make a few.

Darned a sock today, and even though winter clothing was marked down 50-75% off didn't even look. Took a great deal of effort and averting of eyes, but I walked right on by.

Lights are being turned off in rooms not in use, lots of laundry hung on the lines downstairs. I wish I had a couple of drying racks so I could hang more. But one does what one can.

Used up the bag of carrots in the crisper, and the remaining potatoes that we grew. I have some celery that I need to re-crisp and will do that tomorrow morning. I also need to bring up some of our onions from the cold room tomorrow as well.

Still lots to use up but things are slowly coming under control. I just need to keep on top of things so nothing is wasted or added to stashes that need using.
Sometimes I run out of space on my drying racks to dry laundry. When this happens, I put things on hangers - shirts, pants (attached with clothes pins), even towels can be clipped to a hanger with clothes pins.

I slide everything over to one side of my closet (another advantage of having minimal clothing) and hang the hangers with the wet clothing on the other side and leave the door (in my case curtains) open. They dry faster than the stuff on the drying racks.

When I lived alone I also used hangers to hang wet laundry on the shower rod - but with 3 people using the shower right now, that's not so practical.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:15 pm Sometimes I run out of space on my drying racks to dry laundry. When this happens, I put things on hangers - shirts, pants (attached with clothes pins), even towels can be clipped to a hanger with clothes pins.

I slide everything over to one side of my closet (another advantage of having minimal clothing) and hang the hangers with the wet clothing on the other side and leave the door (in my case curtains) open. They dry faster than the stuff on the drying racks.

When I lived alone I also used hangers to hang wet laundry on the shower rod - but with 3 people using the shower right now, that's not so practical.
Hmm, I am going to have to give the hangers a try. Thanks.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So yesterday was no spend, which I absolutely love. Today I will order my prescription (once again trying to get the most refills possible in the year) and perhaps make a stop at a thrift store to see about quilt materials, fabric to make produce bags (I do have some I think might be suitable), and other crafting supplies. Hopefully not taking too long in either place.

Finished the quilt yesterday and cuddled under it when I couldn't sleep last night. Now I will need to draw up some plans to use the bits and pieces that are leftover.....tablecloth, runners, pot holders come to mind.

Used up a very small bag of leftover roast chicken when I made supper last night. There is enough for Hubby to have for lunch today if he so wishes. Me, well I will have some of the leftover soup.

Still making sure lights are off in rooms not in use, I refuse to turn down the heat and be uncomfortable, so am looking at more ways to save on electrical costs rather than gas costs. I think I just need to be vigilant about turning lights on and using the oven less. I also need to remind Hubby that it is time he orders the parts to fix his BBQ. Who knows how long things will take to arrive. It will probably cost a bit, but nothing like having to purchase a new one of the same caliber as this one.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Today has been another no spend day. I used my allowance to purchase my meds yesterday so since I count that as spent before I even spend it. Yesterday was in my opinion a no spend day as well.

Baked bread, organized cupboards so they made a bit more sense. All my baking supplies are now pretty much all together. Just a very few things like olive oil, a very few packaged cake mixes, and some powdered milk need to be moved and I actually have an idea of where I will move those items to.

Lights have been off most of the day as the sun has been shining and I wanted to take advantage of it.

Desserts have been Christmas baking and we are slowly eating those items down.

Walked outside for exercise. Not a long distance, but enough to give me some fresh air.

Darned some socks and a pair of gloves this week. I should get a few more months wear out of the gloves and hopefully a great deal more out of the socks.
Jackie