My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

Continuing reading Tightwad Gazette, as well as watching at least one YouTube video a day. Gleaning bits and bobs from both.

Downloaded some free books onto my ereader.

Hung clothes on the lines downstairs, decluttered clothing, planning how much I need to save for dental work November and December of this year. My envelope savings could be going to pay for at least one procedure. We shall see what happens and what I manage to save. I really need very little right now, perhaps some fabric that I can use in the embroidered quilt and some quilt batting. Then there will be some yarn purchases as well just to make a couple of blankets. I have enough hoarded yarn to make 2 of the three for some children and I need a bit more for the third. Pretty sure I can purchase some of that on sale.

Still using items up as quickly as I possibly can and my new monthly menu uses things up as much as possible. My menu is going to get some new concoctions that hopefully Hubby will love.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I will be taking a few items with me to youngest's house this weekend so they don't go to waste.

Today is sewing day, getting those shorts made. Hopefully two pair today, which would leave two to finish when we get back.

Sprayed those pesky Box Elder bugs with a mixture of water and dish soap.

Fixed a couple of seams.

Did a bit of decluttering.

Just the usual frugal habits around the old homestead.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Not the most frugal of weekends, but one we enjoyed very much. Getting to see any of our boys is priceless.

We did not go out for supper while there, instead I brought supper from home and cooked there. Saved time, and since we took the beast saved a bit on fuel as well.

We did do a bit of plant purchasing while in the city, not as much as we could have, but made a pretty good dent in the garden budget. I will use the excuse that after a winter of white some colour is necessary for the soul.

Also doing the sewing of some summer replacement items. Hope to get all those completed in the next couple of weeks so I can move on to getting another project completed before the end of the month.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

We were craving something sweet so I pulled a few items from the chest freezer and the fridge freezer and made a couple of cherry turnover rolls (kind of hard to describe).

Trying to get the chest freezer cleared out so today I am pulling out pumpkin puree, zucchini and perhaps some rhubarb to use in baking later.

Refusing to turn on the air conditioning as of yet. On these lovely days of in the mid 20's C windows are wide open for any bit of breeze. Drapes are open to take advantage of light and I am remembering to turn off all lights in rooms not in use when we need them.

All leftovers are being consumed and I am making a bit of a dent on what is in the various freezers.

Did a bit more decluttering of my clothing and have a bag I need to drop off at one of the second hand stores here in my city.

Baked bread, I have gotten out of the habit of using an appliance to cook some meals, I need to get back to that.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I have done most of the baking I wanted and just have the zucchini muffins left, those will be done today.

The water barrel is almost full (or was almost full after the last rain session) so we will be good for watering for awhile.

Hubby's garlic cloves that he started downstairs are sprouting. Hopefully they get a good enough start that we can get some good growth and can harvest this fall. Even getting and drying garlic scapes would be an adventure, something new from the garden.

Still working on getting the most from what we purchase. Still using bits and bobs up.

Still reading the Tightwad Gazette and watching a YouTube on frugal living every so often.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Being as frugal as possible at this time of year. I am using up everything possible, substituting, and while I have been purchasing plants I am trying to keep statement plants (the expensive ones) to a minimum, I will still be purchasing many more. I might even need to pick up some new planter pots (large ones), and those are not inexpensive either.

I have been looking for a sale on runners and sandals both things I could really use and plan on using my Visa gift card.

Clothes this week were all dried on the outside lines, that will be a great savings since the dryer pulls so much power.

I have planned a few more meatless meals and leftover meals this week which will cut down on groceries as well. I do hope to have a couple of tinfoil meals to send back with youngest as I noticed he had eaten most of the others.

Decluttering is ongoing, I found some double bed sheets to send home with youngest, he will take the dehydrator, and I am sure I can find a working slow cooker the next time I go to the Salvation Army.

Costs have kind of steadied here, but with the fires in Alberta and the northern part of our province grain farms will be impacted and the price of flour is crazy.
Jackie