My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

So with it being the end of the month I got all the budget items entered.

We were over on a couple of lines, but one of which will drop considerably next month. This month was the paying for BritBox for the year.

My android computer box attached to the television is acting up. I think I need youngest son to fix it (could be a problem), if he can't get it fixed I may end up getting a few other streaming services in order to see all that I want. Perhaps Acorn TV will be added, still pondering that.

What was really great this month is that I was way underbudget for groceries (over budget on household stuff though which will probably happen again this month). Pretty happy about that. Actually pretty happy with how things went overall.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

New month and more frugalling happening (noticed that they don't consider frugalling a proper word).

Today was my errand day. Got the banking, picking up prescriptions, and shopping done. My one (well might have another) trip out with the vehicle. I have just under 3/4 of a tank of gas left and I haven't purchased fuel since the beginning of December. I will be purchasing fuel twice this month because of my appointment in the big city. Hubby hasn't bought gas for his truck since December either. Neither of us is driving much.

Today I decided to purchase more house brand items if the price is less than sale price on brand name items. I actually bought Hubby the Equate brand of Vitalux and saved over $10.00. More money in my pocket, or should I say less on the credit card. Still with price increases things added up quickly and I spent more than I thought I would.

Pulled fabric from my stash to use to make the draught dodger and face warmer. I plan on cutting those tonight and sewing them tomorrow.

Still using up items in the pantry and freezer. Slowly getting those down to levels that are much easier to handle. There are still many things that need using so I will continue.

Bought a whole pork loin that was cut into chops today (there are 26 chops so 13 meals for the two of us, though I might take a couple of packages up to youngest sons when we go) at a cost of $26 and change so $2.00 a meal. I also bought a large whole roast, that I think I will cut into steaks instead of two roasts.

Pulled out the small ham for Hubby to cut later for sandwich meat as well.

I am going to have a pair of pants to mend (the knee is wearing on a pair of my old jeggings) so that will be added to the mending pile next week.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I did cut the cryovac whole eye of round roast into steaks. They are in the freezer. This is not the most tender of cuts so will be used in slow cooking, marinating type recipes. I also cut the two end pieces that were too small for steaks into strips to use in stir fries.

I pulled two different batches of yarn from my stash for two projects I would like to get made this month. I also pulled some to make a summer sweater, but need to find a pattern for that.

In putting away groceries and other products yesterday I found I probably have enough garbage bags, tinfoil, dishwasher tabs (perhaps one more container), toilet bowl cleaner (got to see how long this open one lasts), waxed paper, and plastic for my FoodSaver to last at least a year. I am pretty sure I have enough SOS pads and stove top ceramic cleaner as well. Now I can move on to a few other things as I see them on sale. In a month or two, other than toilet paper and the occasional package of paper towels I will hopefully not be buying those products for a very long time.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Yipee, another no spend, no drive day. Planning projects that hopefully will save us cash in the long run.

I will take some meals with us to youngest when we stay there. He puts up with us taking over his home so the least I can do is feed us all.

I have been doing downsizing thinking today and realized that if we move into an apartment with a small balcony/deck we could actually use youngest sons garden. We could expand it and plant more. Pretty sure he would be more than okay with that. We could also have one of our freezers in his basement and share the bounty.

We could give him our rototiller, and the eldest could get our snowblower.... Got to be fair. Downsizing without even leaving the house here.
Jackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackie I really like your way of thinking and you and your son would both benefit. My parents thought a lot like that back in the day. My mom had huge gardens on neighbors' property in exchange for free produce. My dad got us free firewood - we just had to cut a truck load for the land owner for every one we cut for ourselves.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Unless something weird happens, DH should outlive me. Should that not happen, God forbid ('cause he's a nice guy and should have a good long life), or we downsize together the last time, I don't think I'd want to be in an apartment.

I was in a condo once, in NC, that had a back deck facing some woods and a neighbor only on one side. That might not be too bad again. But it would have to be ground level, and there'd have to be a garage. And a soundproof wall between me and the neighbor (my nextdoor neighbor there was the program director for the largest rock station in town).

I've lived in single-family houses for so long I'm not sure I want to routinely hear (or feel) a bunch of noise just on the other side of a wall, ceiling, or floor. Kind of semi-detached living would be okay.

! Ex-h's aunt lived in a "quad" in an over-55 development. Four living units, each with their own door, their own sunroom off the door (she had lots of plants), their own garage. That was pretty slick; never heard a peep out of any of her neighbors so it must have been well insulated. Or they were super quiet.