My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:18 am Jackie, what about the flowers you love so much in your short summers? I know that you overwinter some plants. And what about seed and plants for your vegetable garden? Maybe that is in the food category so is OK.

Good for you for doing this challenge but I hope that you won’t deny yourself the things you enjoy. Life is short.
I do overwinter quite a few of my plants and will not be cutting back on that area. I have lots of friends that offer me seeds, bulbs and cuttings so this year I will be taking advantage of that. Gardeners here are very willing to share the bounty.

The veggie garden is Hubby's domain and so I don't consider it part of my challenge.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:53 am Thanks, HappyDaze. This is going to be a big challenge for me, especially as my oven is acting so wonky.
We will be rooting for you! I'm not sure exactly what my challenge will be yet - but I have something pretty ambitious in mind - yikes - we'll see.

I feel like we are all in this together and can encourage one another.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:12 pm We will be rooting for you! I'm not sure exactly what my challenge will be yet - but I have something pretty ambitious in mind - yikes - we'll see.

I feel like we are all in this together and can encourage one another.
Yes I feel the same way that you do. We need to encourage each other especially during this time of rising prices, and trying to stretch our resources. We need to save our planet for those that come behind us.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I have been preparing myself for this challenge now for awhile and will be making things a bit clearer as I go.

Groceries are really expensive so I am going to try and use up every last bit of what I purchase. Could be some rather interesting meals in the future.

I am going to do more appliance cooking. I know I have said this before, but really did not stick to that. This coming year I will.

Now the veggie garden is Hubby's domain and I am leaving that out. We do save some seed, but not much as old seed often does not germinate well. So buying for that will be allowed.

Flower wise, I am overwintering a few things and many in the garden club will be offering free plants which I will take advantage of. The rest I will purchase if necessary. I have really cut back on the expense of what I purchase so hopefully plant starters have not risen too much in the spring.

I am planning to buy any items of clothing I need used from one of the two secondhand stores here in my small city. I refuse to buy used shoes (or bras, or underwear) used as they have already molded themselves to the owners feet. I will watch for sales though to get the best possible deal.

Books could be a problem, but I have gift cards and will use those to purchase any book that is not free. I will also buy secondhand if something strikes my fancy.

As I said before if I need fabric or yarn for a gift I will purchase it (mind you yard sales and the fabric sale at one church were awesome and pretty darn inexpensive). Otherwise I will make do with what I have in the sewing/craft room. I will be purchasing some white feathers though for a Christmas ornament project next year. I have numerous totes full of yarn as well as drawers and bags. I really need to clear them out.

This is just my challenge, not Hubby's so if he needs anything it will be purchased. It is also not for our sons. If I can find them the right gift at a second hand store (both are very limited in what they carry) it will be purchased there, if not it will be purchased new.

I might have more to add to this later.
Jackie
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:52 am I know exactly what you mean. I bought the ham for our Christmas supper and almost dropped. The cost was outrageous even on sale. It is a darn good thing that I can stretch that cost out, so it works out to be a bit more of a frugal purchase. Though with the boys' home, I probably won't get quite as many meals as I love to send leftovers home with them.
Jackie, I spent so much this Christmas on food. It was absolutely shocking.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Just a few more items to add to this.

I am going to try to add more peas, beans and lentils to our diets. Healthier for us and much less expensive than meat. I slipped on this the last couple of months so will be starting up again over the next year.

Now I want to cook more large batches of things (I don't really do batch cooking) and have ready meals in the freezer. Being able to just warm something up is a time and money saver.

Probably more yet as I fine tune this down the next year.
Jackie