My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

Took our income tax to the accountant, and while out went to the travel agency and got some information on cruises to Alaska... There is a land add on that sounds very interesting. It takes you into the interior of Alaska and that is right up Hubby and my alley.

Working on using up more yarn. I finished the dark green yarn a bit ago and started using the burgundy (almost finished the small ball of that and can start the full skein of it next). Slowly but surely getting those done. I want 25 pairs of the 50 done and then move on to some other projects this month.

Using up leftovers here for lunches or freezing what ever is left over so as to have another meal or two later on.

Making sure all our lighting has LED bulbs for longer lasting life. There are a few that have CFL but those are gradually being changed as I use up the CFL bulbs and find LED bulbs that fit the fixtures.

Still baking my own bread, though I now have a couple of sale loaves in my chest freezer.

I did sew a couple of cat toys for our grandcat for Easter. We will probably give her a bit of turkey from Easter dinner as well.

Bought our Easter turkey on sale, and all the meat I purchased has been on sale as well.

We did our quarterly spread sheet for our finances and while things were looking pretty bleak at one time, this quarter we started to make our money back that was lost....It will take awhile and we will keep our fingers crossed that we do not enter a recession.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Well since I was sick and Hubby tested positive for Covid no money has been spent, no driving happened, and we are going to be using up leftovers for awhile, both from Easter and from the days before. Neither Hubby or I really ate much for our Easter meal. I did forget one item to send home with DS, but I can always have it for lunch eventually.

I have some frozen bread dough in the large chest freezer and I think I will make buns with it for a bit.

I have made my grocery list for shopping next week (providing I am still negative) and it really isn't very long at all. Almost everything (except the milk and yogurt) are on sale. I am really going to try and cut that spending down.

We got our power bill a couple of days ago and it has fallen by a great deal. I guess using appliances to cook is in fact a money saver.

I am trying the free 14 day subscription to Stack TV.... Not really impressed with it as of yet. I have caught up with The Bay, and the offshoot of Death In Paradise. So started watching All Creatures Great and Small again. Plan on checking out more of Stack TV eventually and remembering to cancel after the 14 days. I might try a few more free trials now that I know how to do so, and how to cancel them, thanks to DS.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

No shopping for groceries until later in the week I should be able to be out and about as long as I stay masked.

I am using up leftovers and and stretching what we have. I will probably end up making some lemonade and using the dry milk powder for any baking if I feel up to it in a couple of days. I need to make some pumpkin muffins and some zucchini loaves as well.

Window coverings are open and the heat and light are streaming in. I love how this keeps our electric and gas bills lower.

Snow is melting quickly, and I can see bare spots in our backyard. I can almost think that spring is actually here, except we are supposed to be getting wet snow again later this week.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Still trying to figure out where we caught this plague and really have no idea at all. I guess I could have brought it home from the store and someone I came into contact with there.... However I should have come down with the virus first then and not Hubby.

I have windows open to let in the beautiful smells of spring, and washed all the lighting in the living room now.

Tomorrow I will wash the hall fixtures, and the bathroom fixture. I may even manage to get the two bedrooms done. It all depends on how I feel after I go shopping.

The shopping list is made up using what is on sale this week in my favourite stores. I think I just may look up No Frills flyer online and see if there is anything there that is less expensive on my list.

I am using up leftovers and stretching what we have.

Hubby mixed up dish soap and water and started spraying the box elder bugs... Yes they are out once again and we need to take control right now or they will explode. The dish soap and water seems to work just fine at a very frugal cost.

I am going to check my menus for the month to see what can be appliance cooked. That seems to save us lots on power costs.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I kept to my shopping list and purchasing only those items on sale (some never go on sale) I managed to cut almost $30.00 from the total if I had needed to pay regular price.

Hanging clothes on the lines downstairs and am so looking forward to being able to hang everything up outside.

Finally found the mop cover for washing walls. I cleaned it up today by soaking it in a sink full of water with a bit of bleach. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get a few walls washed. No climbing up and down the ladder so a time saver for sure.

I put money into the savings envelope and change into the change jars.

Reading the Tightwad Gazette every morning for an hour or so. I actually like the letters sent in almost more than the articles. Love free and now I don't have to search online for my own copy. I can just read this free source. Free is great, free is wonderful.

Finished another free book a couple of days ago and pulled out an old book to re-read. I need to download some new free reading material onto my ereader very soon.

Making sure I stretch all that I can and use up everything I possibly can as well. Amazing how that stretches ones budget. We don't often eat out or order in and when we do we use coupons and make sure there is enough for more than one meal to make it even more cost effective.

I am looking into places where I can forage for apples, and berries. Probably even willing to pay a bit for that privilege this year. My cherry trees are very slow growing and so far no pears in sight. Closer to harvest time I am going to ask on Facebook and see who steps forward. Gone are the days I could purchase apples, plums and pears at a reasonable cost. Pretty sure there are people out there that would love to share.

I looked for Moonflower seeds in Walmart and couldn't find any. Hoping to find some in Canadian Tire. I need to get those started very soon. Much less expensive to start them inside then to purchase the plants themselves.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

So usual frugal happenings here. I am getting so much better at using things up that are in the fridge. Also getting better at other small frugal things that are becoming a habit. Small things add up to larger savings then we think.

In reading the Tightwad Gazette, I am astounded by how many of the tips Amy gives that I have used for years.

Perhaps the one tip I should try to use more often is to purchase used clothing. I have always been of the make it myself, or purchase the best one possibly can to get the most wear from. Also I have only purchased classic styles that never really go out of fashion. I also really look after my clothing, repairing what needs repairing, and washing/drying the items correctly.

I do have trouble finding nice items in our second hand stores, things get picked over quickly (many time store employees get first pick) and most things are inexpensively made and in some cases stained or falling apart. I can however purchase items there to be used as fabric or backing for quilts and I must remember to do so once I run out of that type of thing.

Off to read a bit more Gazette before I start my household tasks.
Jackie