My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: My Challenge For 2023, Frugal Like Never Before

Post by Jackielou »

No spending today, which is a good thing. Drapes open to let in the sunshine and solar heating effects.

Using up the last of the ham and peppers quiche I made a couple of days ago. I will also use up the peas, and I think I will make potato cakes from the leftover mashed potatoes. If we don't have them tonight they are at least ready to be reheated from a frozen state for a meal later.

Getting lots of items cut out from the fabric I bought at the church sale last spring. I hope they have another one this year. Making tops for less than I can purchase them second hand is great. It is also clearing out my fabric that I have stored.

Still working on using up the hand lotion I have gotten over the years as well as using bubble bath as liquid hand soap. I just added the last container to the pump bottle. I have noticed that it does dry out my skin a bit more, but I get to use the hand lotion more.

I have some apples that need using, so tomorrow I plan on making a Dutch Apple Pie and perhaps an apple loaf or two for the freezer. Must make some more pumpkin muffins as well. If I am going to use the oven it is going to be filled.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Once again it has been a no spend day.

Drapes open to take advantage of the heat and light from the sun. Using things up, mostly from the fabric stash today, and all the bits and bobs of fabric are being saved to use in quilts later on.

No baking done, I plan on doing that tomorrow.

No waste is going well here and has more than likely saved us quite a bit of cash.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Some baking done this afternoon, as well as me using up some fabric that has been around for a very long time. Slowly but surely things in my stash are being used up. I am so very hopeful that by the fall most of the fabric will be gone and I can perhaps stock up a bit more on newer fabrics. Of course the fabrics will be on sale....

It has been a no spend day. Drapes are open taking advantage of the solar heat and the light from the sun. We are supposed to get snow by mid week and quite a bit if they are correct in their forecast. I will do some banking on Monday and perhaps stock up on some candles. If we get snow now it will more than likely be heavy and wet. Being prepared if the power goes out is very important. I will check the camp stove and the fuel. If I leave the window open a bit I will be able to use it for cooking during a power outage.

Using things up has become second nature now. I have some rhubarb ready to be made into muffins or perhaps a cake tomorrow. Must clear out the big chest freezer now to get ready for filling once again come the fall and even spring.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

A bit of spending took place today. I needed to go and purchase eggs, we went through the 18 I bought very quickly.

I also went through the envelope where I save what is left after my allowance every two or so weeks. I put together $1k to send to oldest son to help out our friend. That will be mailed tomorrow. I consider that spent when I get it and as I don't need to purchase any clothing, never have coffee out, and snacks are in the grocery budget most, if not all my allowance gets saved to use for crafting items. The fact is right now I have enough of those crafting items to last a very long time, so I should be able to build it up again before I need to purchase anything. I think it is money well spent if it helps A stay in her tiny well loved home.

Hope to do some sewing and baking tomorrow along with the usual Monday tasks.
Jackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:29 pm A bit of spending took place today. I needed to go and purchase eggs, we went through the 18 I bought very quickly.

I also went through the envelope where I save what is left after my allowance every two or so weeks. I put together $1k to send to oldest son to help out our friend. That will be mailed tomorrow. I consider that spent when I get it and as I don't need to purchase any clothing, never have coffee out, and snacks are in the grocery budget most, if not all my allowance gets saved to use for crafting items. The fact is right now I have enough of those crafting items to last a very long time, so I should be able to build it up again before I need to purchase anything. I think it is money well spent if it helps A stay in her tiny well loved home.

Hope to do some sewing and baking tomorrow along with the usual Monday tasks.
That is very generous of you, Jackie.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I got Hubby's robe cut out and am planning to sew that once I finish sewing a couple of pairs of shorts for myself.

I want to say that I always shop the sales at the store and have a set amount I can spend each time I go. Usually around the $200-$300 dollar mark. My groceries have gone down considerably over the past couple of months. At least I am not over by as much as I used to be when I bought bread, and didn't eat in season for produce.

We order in perhaps once a month and never go out to a bar for drinks.

I am using less meat in recipes and eating more meatless meals which is probably very good for our health.

I am also sorry that I got Floridacatlover so upset she wishes to leave.
Jackie