FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
floridacatlover

Re: FCL’s Alternative Frugality 2023

Post by floridacatlover »

There were a few small spills in my microwave so I decided to give it a good clean this morning. What I discovered was a significant amount of rust on the ceiling of the microwave. Totally my fault for not drying it out after using it. I know this is total heresy to many people but I use my microwave to heat water for my tea and I’ve been drinking a lot of tea in this cold weather.

I know that rust in a microwave is bad so I ordered a new one even though this one is only 2 1/2 years old. I hated to do it but what can you do. I’m just thankful this is a countertop microwave and not an over-the-range installed one.

I ordered the exact same one, 700 watts, from Lowe’s, $116 including tax. I’ll do curbside pickup but it won’t be here for two weeks. The pain is going to be getting ride of my old microwave. Last time my former neighbor got rid of it for me. I’ll figure something out even if I have to ask a neighbor.

So this is a frugal fail. But since my medical issues I tell myself, “It’s a nothing compared to more important things.”
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Not a frugal fail when safety is involved. Mine was just a bit of paint exposing the metal underneath in three places but I could not risk a fire. My dump required a small fee (i used my walker to put it in my car).
floridacatlover

I added up my January spending. Not bad but not fantastic. I did well on groceries, gas, entertainment and gifts. Car maintenance was necessary but I was very surprised at the price of the windshield wipers. I consider my hair appointment as necessary but I also bought a pair of shoes (semi-unnecessary). Only health spending was the Fitbit and I’m happy with it. Only household spending was the new microwave (which I won’t receive until mid-February).

I bought the Southwest ticket to RI for the end of May but I’m already thinking of staying for fewer days. The reason? I started checking car rental prices. OMG!!! Ticket was about $500 (including early check in) for a week. Car rental prices are significantly more than the ticket - $750 to $900 for a week!! I can probably whittle it down with AAA and some sort of code but still that is too much.
floridacatlover

Typically I about break even on taxes but last year I started having more deducted when I increased my IRA withdrawals so I’m getting a pretty large refund. This year I’m taking even more out of my IRA and using the same tax % so I need to think if I should lower the % of taxes deducted. It is not smart to get a refund that is too large since I could be earning 3%+ on that money.

I benefit from the tax code because I’m low income. My taxes were reduced by $750 because I pay a 0% rate on dividends and capital gains. (The convoluted tax code doesn’t just benefit the wealthy.) I paid $950 in penalties on early cd withdrawals so that I could reinvest them at a higher rate. I was able to reduce my income by that $950 directly off my income. Good deal! I paid income taxes on my old EE savings bonds and will cash the remainder of them this month and pay those taxes next year. All these years those EE bonds have been earning 4%.

I received another strip of coupons from Save-A-Lot. The best one is a $10/$50 which can be used the first week of April. I won’t forget. A few years ago I had a trial subscription to the South China Morning Post (based in Hong Kong). I still get their emails and I got a survey with the offer of a $10 Amazon card which I’ve now added to my Amazon gift card total (mostly from Bing points).
floridacatlover

I put my Amazon Prime on “pause.” That was one of the options after clicking twice on Cancel. I will not be billed but my photos will be retained - along with my Prime watchlist I believe. I’m not sure long I can be on pause but a Google search showed 12 weeks. So I’ll see how I feel at that point.

I transferred my EE savings bond money to my sinking fund account. The bonds totaled almost $1,400. That is the last of the EE bonds after 30 years. I had some previous bonds bought during the 1980s in my job in D.C that matured years ago. It is too bad that the kids today are not taught to save with savings bonds. I first remember buying them in elementary school with stamps from what I recall.
floridacatlover

I got my tax refund. I only filed 10 days ago. (Why would anyone pay HR Block and others for an “early” refund - loan - when the IRS is so fast if someone files electronically.)

I decided I’m not going to reduce my withholding % because I’ll be getting a lot more interest income this year that is taxable. I roll over the interest but still owe taxes on it.